Thursday, October 11, 2018

My Darling May

My Darling May
She’s fading away
A little bit more every day

Not remembering she just made toast
Forgetting that in the oven there is a roast
It makes me sad that the short term is fleeting
But that’s not what turns up my heart’s beating

Six weeks ago, you didn’t know BarkyBeers
Our loving Pomeranian of fifteen years
The dog who gave you an infinity of smiles
A dog you walked with for countless miles

Four weeks ago, you didn’t know your grandbabies
No recognition, no ifs, ands, or maybes
The grandbabies whom shared your love seats
The grandbabies you lavished with toys and treats

Two weeks ago, you didn’t know where we live
You went out the door in search of a relative
An Aunt who had passed in Seventy-Four
It took me and the police to bring you back to our door



A week ago, you didn’t know the boy
The boy we raised for twenty years, our boy Roy
The boy you carried in your arms
The boy who made you smile with his charms

Then yesterday, you didn’t know me
The loving partner every day you see
The man who wears your wedding band
The man who walks with you hand in hand

Today I took you to the park
At first you thought I was your brother Mark
I sat with you on a bench and looked at thee
For a fleeting second, you came back to me

A kiss, a tender kiss
It was everything I wish
Your eyes met mine
We were briefly fine

In tune
Together
Joined
Past the dark divide



And then
And then
You faded again

It matters not
I will hold you close
We will be together again
I will find a way
To relight our path someday

She’s fading away
But I will never let go
Never let go
Of my darling May


No comments:

Post a Comment