Sunday, October 14, 2018

The Strengths of Conservative Christianity

Faithful readers know that over the years of this blog, I have said little positive about the conservative branch of Christianity, or what is commonly called the Christian Right.  I could list many reasons why I don't like this version of Christian theology.  Chief among them is their support of Trump.

But that's not what this blog entry is about.  It's about trying to find common ground.  Because if we can't find ways to talk to each other, it's game over, man.  I don't want to fall into the same trap that I detest so much - the turning of groups into "the other." 

So, here goes.  My best good faith attempt to look at the positive strengths of conservative Christianity.

Most conservative denominations are welcoming, especially once you are participating in their congregation.  It's true that many consider the LGBTQ community sinners, but I think it's also true that many of them are struggling with what that means.  They have gay friends or family members, and their personal attitude may be far more tolerant than what you see portrayed in the media.  Outside of the confusion about the LGBTQ community, the churches are open and caring about its members.

That support of the faithful can include financial support and other personal aid.  Congregants get fed, sheltered, clothed, even help in finding jobs and obtaining assistance in learning to support themselves.  They provide their own network to help support their members survive in the broader community.

Conservative churches often have tremendously helpful outreach projects. Food banks, thrift stores, prison ministries, are all very prominent.  Missionary work in other countries represents great sacrifices by many to make the world a better place.  My father-in-law, part of a conservative church, has done extraordinary work in Haiti, helping them rebuild, and supporting them with love and generosity.  Yes, there is a heavier proselytizing element than there would be from more progressive churches, but nevertheless, good works are being accomplished, and that cannot be dismissed.

I am sympathetic to their stance on abortion.  Although I do not agree with their policy approach, I do agree that abortion is something to be minimized, and that life does begin when the DNA is zipped.

I like their emphasis on family.  I don't know what else to say about this.  Both sides of Christianity fail to live up to protecting the family ideal, each in their own way. 

Both sides of Christianity have similar rites.  They look more different than they actually are because they have been clouded by semantics.  What we call Baptism, they call dedication.  What they call baptism, we call confirmation.  Testimony is similar to confession.  The Lord's Supper is similar to Eucharist.  I have a hard time understanding the language expressing being "born again', but I don't think it's that different from our expressions once you analyze the rhetoric and its intent.

To me, church ritual and service presentation is a matter of choice, not a factor in how you good a Christian you are.  I find the liturgical structure of the Episcopalian service comforting and spiritual.  Others may prefer more charismatic services, with song lyrics posted on big screens, and a more freewheeling structure.  It's all good, and merely a matter of personal preference.

I live in an area where 90% plus of the white Christians belong to conservative denominations.  I find many of them to be quite caring, kind and decent people.  They overwhelmingly treat me well.  At least when we don't talk about politics.

I hope, over the years, we start having more tolerance and respect for one another.  It is in being open that we get along.  My love for my fellow man is not limited to progressive Christians.  It encompasses all.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth much, would it?

None of this is explains voting for Trump.  That was a terrible decision, y'all, and I welcome the day some of you come to me and admit you made a mistake.

I'm waiting.




No comments:

Post a Comment