Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Tuesday's Post is Full of Despair

Yeah.

It might have been better to wait until tomorrow.  "Wednesday's Post is Full of Woe" has a much better ring.  But despair waits for no man.

It's not personal despair.  I recognize and sympathize with the many who are going through personal anguish.  My own world may not be perfect, but everything considered, it's pretty damn good.

No, this is about despair over where our nation has been recently, where it is right now, and where it is headed.

It's not good, folks.  And I'm becoming increasingly pessimistic that we're going to get out of it.

I respect and admire the courageous and hard work done by so many in their efforts to curtail the madness before us.  I pray they continue unabated.  I will do what I can,  I know that I'm not a door-to-door canvasser, and the phone terrifies me.  But within my sheltered selective mutism, I do what I can.  I write.  I publicly endorse.  I give money.  I should do more.  I know.  Right now, though, if I don't get my weight and blood pressure under control, I won't be able to help anybody do anything.

There have been shocks to the system over the last couple of years. People around me whom I thought of as good people are taking positions that are utterly contrary to my understanding of Christianity, of humanity, of decency. Just as one of the dozens of examples, seeing so many try to rationalize the separation of families and the caging/concentration camping of children - it horrifies me and makes me wonder - do I truly know anyone?

The latest straw shattering my fragile back is the incredible reaction to the Kavanaugh hearings.  Even more stunning than the OJ trial,  I cannot fathom how anyone can side with Kavanaugh's boorish, undignified presentation over the most compellingly credible witness I have ever heard, Dr. Christine Ford.  And then for the Bully-In-Chief to viciously defame her at his Naziesque rallies, that was too much.  And then to see the poll numbers go up for certain Senatorial Republican candidates, and to see Trump's poll numbers rise - it's just too much.  It's too sickening and disgusting to face.  And the kicker was, when some friends whom I thought were politically neutral, came out in defense of Kavanaugh - well, my heart was broken.

Now we are faced with how big the Blue Wave will be.  As I predicted a couple of months ago, I fear it will be more of a Blue Splash than Wave.  But what if the Democrats do take the House?  What then?

I hope to do a post that examines the consequences of different election outcomes.  Briefly, I think that even if we take the House, it won't be all puppies and unicorns.  It will give Trump and his extremists a propaganda tool to rail against.  And he is already revving up his rhetorical engines to delegitimize any Democratic wins.

If we don't win a legislative body, we won't be able to stop what's to come.  If we win a legislative body, we'll be blamed for what's to come.  If Trump resigns or is impeached, we get Pence,  If we regain control and pass progressive legislation, the Supreme Court will void it.

I love storytelling.  I love the endings where, in the end, the good guys face adversity but win and vanquish the forces of evil.

We're not in a story.  We're in reality.  No one is writing this except us.  And I no longer have faith in many of those around me.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fight.  I'm not saying we should give up.  I'm saying we should be prepared for a very long, arduous struggle.

And the outcome is not certain.






No comments:

Post a Comment