Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Pier Time with the Easlicks!

My sister, Carol, and her log time spousal connection, Michael.




Yes, I have been in absentia with The Strait Line for a few days.  A few may have noticed.  Most did not, I am sure.

I enjoyed a rare getaway to St. Simons, where we rented a condo unit with my sister, Carol, and brother-in-law, Michael.  I did not bring the laptop or spend any time writing.

We had three television sets in the condo, but between the three of them, we could only watch one channel - Fox News.  Needless to say, we did not watch TV over the weekend.  But that was cool, as we had plenty to fill our time.

We brought board games but did not play.  Benjamin was only with us through Saturday morning and went back home to have a Dungeons & Dragons birthday party for a friend.

Instead of TV and games, we talked and talked and talked.  It was wonderful to just depressurize and talk.  Given our ages, there was a lot of talk about health, but there was also plenty about family, faith, politics, and sports.  Yes, we had enough in common about politics to be able to discuss it without alienating each other.  I don't come from one of those families that are divided politically - we're all pretty much on the same page.  Can't necessarily say that for all of Alison's family, but you can for mine.

I learned enough about diabetes to be confused.  There are different types, which I kinda knew. I didn't know about how the diet worked, or there were so many that had it that didn't require insulin shots.  And I thought it was sugar they could never have, but it may be carbs?  Which could turn into sugar?  I admit.  I got lost.

It's more than academic to me now.  I had a glucose test that puts me high normal, and they want to check it again in six months.  I'd rather modify with diet.  That could be a twofer - helping stay non-diabetic and lower my blood pressure.  So far, my efforts have proved unsuccessful.

Which brings me to the other big thing we did besides talk - EAT!!!  St. Simon's is filled with wonderful restaurants!  In fact, that is my motto for visits to st. Simons - too many restaurants, too little time!

We had to have Southern Soul BBQ....we ordered ALL THE MEATS, and still had trouble picking favorites - we had to keep sampling.

We ate at Tramici, an Italian restaurant, with fantastic entrees, including lasagna and spaghetti with meatballs.  Alison had pumpkin ravioli.

And, of course, we had to go to Barabara Jeans.  It was my mom's favorite when she and Dad used to visit St. Simon's in the winter.  Alison and my mom were one of their first customers the weekend they opened up on the Pier.

The current grandchild count is ... Carol 3, Tom 0.  She may have more soon.  I remain on deck, probably for the next few years.  Sigh.

Carol has one daughter and two grand-daughters.  I always wanted a girl.  But seeing how Brett Kavanaugh's very credible accusers were treated, I have a better insight as to why I don't.  Because I don't think I could remain calm or civil if someone did that to a daughter or grand-daughter of mine.  I am so angry as to how that went down and so disappointed in some of the people around me.  Now, even if Progressives take over, they will be thwarted by a hostile Supreme Court for decades to come.

Alison and I cherished the visit.  It made us nostalgic to re-visit Michigan.  So, our next summer vacation plans may change.

Thank you, Carl and Mike, for a wonderful time.  Hope to see y'all again very soon!



2 comments:

  1. Lamar has been on diabetic meds for awhile, how glucose was 400 when he was diagnosed. Still hard to modify diet, A1C is the important lab work

    ReplyDelete