Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Sticky Wednesday Wanderings


I went outside today for my morning walk, around 6:45 AM.  It hit me as soon as I opened the door.  Whatever cool, crispness to the air there had been a few days ago was now gone, replaced by the flat, stagnant air of what should have been the beginning of a hot midsummer's day.  The walk was humid, leaving my shirt sticky and my mind decidedly not refreshed.

Welcome to mid-October, Southeast Georgia style!  You get a brief hint of temps sliding to the 70s, and then, waalaa, you're back in the 90s again!  Of course, it took a distant brush from a hurricane to even get the temporary relief.

It's the time of year I find most depressing.  Just when the weather shows promise, you're yanked back to the heart of summer.

---------------------------------------

I have become obsessed, once again, with the unfollow feature on Facebook.  I like a full open Newsfeed (minus the racism/sexism/bigotry/personal attacks).  If people want to post dozens of pictures of the meal - have at it, hoss.  I have this special ability known as SCROLLING.  I don't need to unfollow someone because they post about stuff not that relevant to me.  People can use their facebook feed as they see fit.  If I don't want to see anything they do, maybe I should unfriend or block.

I have a lot of people who have unfollowed me.  At least, I suspect that is the case.  The reasons are probably varied, but I'm sure chief among them is....politics.  Fine.  Cool. Awesome.  So, that means that my efforts to influence and prod Trumpeteers into being woke is not working, because THEY NEVER SEE IT.

New strategy, folks.  Too much at stake to do nothing.  I know some, even on my side, would prefer I stop trying.  The Trumpeteers are too entrenched.  But would you give up on a family member or loved one?  Would you stop if you thought someone's soul was at stake?  What if was the whole frigging planet?

Can't give up.  Just have to rethink.

--------------------------------------

I see that early voting in Georgia has begun and that it is running about triple the pace as the prior election.  I still haven't decided when I will vote.  I like the idea of election day, but if Alison and I can fit it in, we might vote early.  Not highly familiar with the proposed Constitutional Amendments, but I lean no just on general principle.  First, they're written by those in power, and I suspect they're designed to enrich those in power and the contributors that bankroll them.  Second, I really hate messing with the tax code to benefit one group or another.  When you designate funds to go to one thing, that means the general becomes underfunded, which puts pressure to raise income in other ways.  One of the stupidest amendments passed in a prior election is the one that capped the income tax at 6%.  All that did was increase the burden on more regressive taxes.  9% sales tax, anyone?

------------------------------

The sales on my new eshort have been devastatingly tiny.  So far, even with money spent on advertising, there have been only two sales, and one of them is me!  Sigh.  I'm never getting out of accounting, am I?  Even at 103, coming in with a walker, I'll still have to supplement my income with CPA work.

The greatest career success of my life is that I've organized things so that I can be home more to pursue creative opportunities.  The greatest career failure of my life is that I have been completely inept in monetizing those creative opportunities. 

--------------------------------

I am on the DASH diet again.  The first two weeks involve serious cutbacks and a very restrictive diet.  It comes with warnings that by the second week, you could get more cranky and irritable,

Be prepared.

I feel like I'm already halfway there.


Wanderingly yours,

T. M. Strait











No comments:

Post a Comment