Saturday, January 18, 2014

History of the Trap: July Nightmares Part 9

9

I spent a lot of time with Lisa.  We both needed the support, and it was a comfort just to have somebody to hold on to.  Much of it was spent in silence, in each other's arms.  I would stroke her beautiful hair that cascaded like a golden waterfall down her neck and upper back.  Periodically, out of nowhere, she would start to shake, as if it were freezing cold.  I just held her and caressed her, and whispered reassuring phrases.  "I'm here."  "I know."  "We'll get through this."  And the biggest lie of all, "It's going to be okay."
I was with her because we needed each other's company to support each other in the dark days after the tunnel collapse.  Not only did we lose two close friends, but it was hard for her to see the agony that Sue was going through.  Whether my Dad would have allowed it or not, she was set to marry Tom Bodell.  And now Tom was gone, killed in the massive explosion that rocked the tunnels.  For Lisa, the horror of our situation was sinking in with a grim finality.  "Lance, I am so sad for Sue, and for all of us. If that level of commitment and love can be taken away so swiftly and brutally, what else could we lose in here?  Anything could happen.   Could I lose you too?"  I had no answer except to hold her and stay by her side.
I was also with her because of my confrontation with Jack Kessler just before the explosion.  The big, threatening football player, bodyguard for the black marketer David Izzner, blamed us for Izzner's interrogation and for the discovery of their illicit moonshine stills in Mr. Black's band office.  I was not the one who told my father, but there would be no convincing Jack of that.  He had seen us together near the band office, where Lisa and I had surreptitiously observed a meeting between David and Mr. Black.  At first, he thought we were there just for a romantic tryst, but when the hammer started to come down, he viewed our being there in a different light.
Jack died when after shocks from the explosion reached even the deserted school auditorium, but not before he threatened Lisa with the most egregious kind of assault.  I had no idea whether Jack was going rogue with his accusations, or whether he was completely acting as Izzner's agent.
I was constantly looking over my shoulder, my thoughts divided between the horrible tragedy, and my fear of retribution from Izzner and his violent associates.  I was afraid to leave Lisa's side.  I had no idea what they were capable of.
A week after the tragedy, I still had heard nothing.  I was beginning to feel that maybe it was just Jack's unshared delusion, and everything was going to be alright.  David had not been arrested, and Mr. Black was stripped of his band duties, and given job responsibilities at the main office, where he was under constant surveillance.  So maybe the storm would pass.
That Wednesday, a week after the tunnel tragedy, I left Lisa's side long enough to go to the men's restroom.  There, at the urinal, the world went dark as a paper bag was placed over my head, and a voice I didn't recognize told me to keep my mouth shut.  I was lifted up and placed in a large trash can, which was then carried somewhere.  This could not have been easy, as although I was not very tall, I was not the lightest son of a gun on the planet.  I had lost a little weight in the trap, but not enough to make it easy to carry me.
After some travels, I was lifted out of the trash can, bag over my head, and placed in a seat.  I instantly recognized by the feel of the chair and the armrests, that I was in the school auditorium, the scene where Jack Kessler had met his demise.
Someone grabbed the paper bag, holding it in place, and then the bag was penetrated near my eyes.  The edge of a knife came perilously close to my eye.  I didn't have enough time to register the fear of it before it was already done.  It had opened a slit in the front big enough for me to see a figure sitting on the edge of the stage.
It was David Izzner, sitting in all his diminutive glory.  Yes, I was small for a guy, but David was tiny compared to me.  He made even Jerry Mack look tall in comparison.  He looked a bit like an elf, perched on the edge of a fireplace mantle.  He had red hair, in a close neat style, just a bit longer than a buzzcut, but not long enough to cover his ears, which now that I was staring at him did seem a bit pointed.
I started to turn my head to see who else was there.  "Don't turn around!" David cautioned.  "Look only at me!"
I instantly obeyed.
"Did you know?  This is where my good friend died.  Yes, somehow big old tough Jack just fell down and broke his crown.  Tragic how stuff like that happens, isn't it?"
All I could do was croak out, "Y-yes."
"But what am I telling you for?  I men, we all suffered terrible losses last week, didn't we?  Such a horrible waste.  I mean Tom Bodell alone, such a loss!  I really could have used his mechanical prowess....I mean, of course, we all could have used it.  Any rate, I don't need to tell you how it is to lose somebody close to you."
"N-no."  All articulation had flown from me.
"I don't know what happened in here.  I do know that Jack was trying to find you just before the accident."  David got down from his perch, and moved closer to me, so that all I could see through the slit was his elfin face.  "Did he?"
"D-did he what?"
"Did he see you just before the accident?"  His voice and stare grew colder.
What do I say?  What if someone had seen us together in the auditorium, or knew that we were both there at the same time?  I had to say something.  So I took a chance with "N-no."
David sighed and went back to his perch on the stage.  "Oh, well.  I had hoped that you might know what happened.  Regardless, I have something important to tell you."
My heart stopped.  It was coming.  As long as it was just me and not Lisa, I could live with it.  Or not live, as the case may be.
"I don't believe you or any of your friends were the ones that snitched to the administration.  Furthermore, I don't believe you ever will.  Do I have that right?"
It took a second to register, and then I nodded my affirmation. "Yes. Absolutely."
"Good.  And I trust you completely.  I think you know the consequences otherwise."
Oh, yes.  I believe that I had absorbed that point.
"In exchange, you have my solemn promise that I, nor none of the people that work for me and answer to me, will ever come after you or your friends in any way.  And if you appreciate nothing else from me, please understand this.  I pride myself in being an excellent businessman, and my word is my bond.  If I don't have that, what else do I have?"
I accepted what David had to say.  I knew that he loved to be profitable, and the best way to do that was by threading the needle between his potential customers and the authority figures he had to work around.  If I was harmed, or I believed my friends were harmed by him, he would incur the incalculable wrath of my father. All his business opportunities would be gone, and potentially his very freedom.  I could see from his perspective, it was in his best interest to give me a wide path. Jack must have indeed gone rogue in his attack upon me, and with his ugly threats to Lisa.
Soon I was transported back to the men's room that they had taken me from.  I never got a glimpse of my other abductors.  They had to have been big.  That's all I could figure out. 
I came back to Lisa, who was still in the cafeteria, concerned over how long I had been gone.
"You've been gone a long time," Lisa said. She had a sight grin on her face, the first I had seen in the last week.  "You must have had a lot to work out."
"Sweetheart, you have no idea."

We held each other for a very long time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment