Friday, January 17, 2014

Ripping Good Yarns: Streaming Across A TV Universe

Well, it's been a over a year now that we've had high speed Internet at the Strait household, and there's a new set of TV shows that we watch the new fangled way - streaming right to our TV sets using different streaming services.  We are not quite binge watchers, but we do see an episode or two a week of each of the shows mentioned here.


This is the show I've been watching off an on for years, even trying to stream before we had high speed Internet.  They are macabre little stories, often more intense than you would expect from 50s television, but they are enjoyable to watch.  The dramatic anthology has disappeared from television, and I for one miss them.  I watch these by myself, sometimes on my Kindle.  The episodes stream from Netflix.

We are slowly working our way through The Office.  This is a great workplace comedy, with many great characters and funny moments.  We are in the middle of season six, and are amazed at how Michael Scott holds on to his job.  The relationship between Pam and Jim is one of the best and most romantic I have seen on television.  Alison and I watch these via Netflix.

Alison and I enjoy Downton Abbey.  We are only in Season Two, so we have had to close our eyes and ears to all the spoiler talk about what is coming up.  That is one of the problems in trying to catch up to a show that has high current buzz.  I am more egalitarian so the whole "servant" thing kind of bothers me, but I am trying to think of the show as a history lesson, and a reflection of the time it came from.  We catch this from Amazon Prime.

Alison and I have recently started Orange is the New Black.  About six episodes in, it is an intriguing, well written show that is not your typical 'Women in Prison' fare.  Like all great shows, it's the characters that sell it, and this show has some truly great characters.  It is definitely adult in tone, not for the kids, and streamed via Netflix.

This is a British drama (tinged with comedy) about five young juveniles, endowed with super powers by a freak weather storm.  It is for mature audiences, as the British seem to be less squeamish and/or prudish about certain things. I watch this from Hulu Plus, and it really displays the British gift for good science fiction.   Speaking of which...... 

Benjamin wanted us to start Dr. Who (via Netflix), and we have recently started watching it as a family show, beginning with the 2005 revival.  I suggested we see some classic Dr. Who, from the original series.  He's not there yet, but I'm working on him!

2 comments:

  1. The Misfits is one that caught my eye, so I really want to watch that, and some friends of mine have gotten me into Doctor Who. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting aside about Misfits....you know how on British shows that sometimes the accent is so thick that it takes us awhile to get used to the voice and figure out what they're saying? Well, on Misfits, one of the character's accent is so thick, that even the other characters have to stop her sometimes and ask her what the blimey hell she's saying!

    ReplyDelete