Monday, January 27, 2014

No Retreat Weekend and Other Monday Musings

It may have had kind of a retreat.  At least that's what the church called our vestry meeting that ran the length of Sunday afternoon.  We didn't really go anywhere, except for a tour of the church building (a surprisingly large facility), and had a good introductory meeting, getting to know each other and the challenges facing us.

But for me, there was no retreat.  Between work and other things, there was little time to relax, and even less time to write.  As I've said before, I'm like a runner who gets jittery if he don't get to get out for his morning run.  So I feel bothered by the fact that I did not get to write on the blog, or my two major writing projects - History of the Trap and Crowley Stories.

All was not completely lost.  Part of my busyness was doing research on a commissioned article about the antique shopping destinations in Blackshear.  So Alison and her mother (antique aficionados) helped me go around to all the stores, get a feel for them, and I spoke to most of the owners.  Blackshear has an opportunity to become a significant antique shopping destination, and I hope to play that up in my article.

We also went to the southeast Pet Expo, a new event featuring many of the area shelters.  There were pets to adopt, and pet supplies, and many wonderful pet loving friends.  It did our heart good to see so many people struggling to help this area be more caring and responsible with pets.

On Sunday I found myself in church from before 9 and until after 5,  Other than losing all that prime writing time at home, it was a good experience, and helped remind me of the richness and potential of our beautiful little church.  And unfortunately, of the myriad facility problems that we have.  I hate it when churches focus on building issues rather than focus on helping people and strengthening worship.  But there's a difference between trying to create a gold-plated parish hall or fancy gym, wasting money on plush decor, versus simply trying to preserve a roof on the building,  So even though I really have nothing to contribute to the building conversation. I will support whatever the church tries to do.  I want to grow the church family, not mold and mice.

The Grammys were on and I did not watch them.  I watch awards shows, more than most of the people I know, but I've never got into the Grammys. nor really any music awards show.  For the first time in my adult life, I've kind of lost track of contemporary music.  I never see music videos anymore, we dropped Sirius radio a year ago, and the record player I got from my Dad has fired up an appreciation for older music.  I know that Lorde girl had some big song, and I've probably heard it, but I can't recall it.  It doesn't play in my head.  This may be the first year in a long time when I'm not sure if any song from the last year has stood out to me.

I did submit a story to a contest, the first of the Crowley stories, Dark Day.  Hopefully, that's just a start and I will be doing a lot more of that in the future.  If nothing else, I have a blank wall that I can plaster with rejection letters.

Being a lazy lout, I'm ready for a day to myself, or at least some time to move my writing projects forward. But no such luck.  The submarine awaits!

Until next time,

T. M. Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment