Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cold Weather is Gone, Baby, Gone

Yes, I know.  Many of you prefer warm weather, maybe even hot weather.  I do not.  So try to respect what I'm saying from that perspective.

I love colder weather.  Around 58 degrees, a good stiff breeze, and overcast skies is about as good as it gets.

I miss snow.  Where I grew up, in the Saginaw Bay area of Michigan, there were wonderful marked seasons.  It was hot a few weeks in the summer, and it was arctic cold a few weeks in the winter.  There was spring and fall and snow in the winter, sometimes enough snow to climb up onto the roof of your house.  You could build snow forts, or ice skate, cross country ski, make snow angels and snowmen - it was fabulous!

But I also love the cool crisp falls, the slow and then accelerating burst of life in spring.  I wasn't fond of the hot, muggy weeks of July and part of August, but they passed quickly enough.

I am somewhat phobic about flying insects, particularly the ones that sting or just buzz noisily around your ear.  I don't like being outside when they are.

I don't like the bright sunlight.  Maybe I'm part vampire, although I don't glow or sparkle in it.  I used to get awful sunburns, but less so now, mostly because I'll sunstroke out long before I get burned.

As mild as they are, the winters here in South Georgia are the best time of the year.  There are minimal flying insects most days, and there are even a few days when you can wear a jacket, which I love to do.  It is the one time of year that I enjoy being outdoors.

So each year the cooler season comes, but I am occupied with tax season and can't get out as much as I want.  So I wait patiently to get through tax season so I can get out and enjoy the cool weather and it passes April 15th and I'm ready to get out and enjoy it and........

never mind.....it's gone.

Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to have a least one kindred spirit temperature wise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you are my "brother from another mother". I was raised right here in this area but share hour sentiments exactly. It is a sad day indeed.

    ReplyDelete