Thursday, April 18, 2013

Ripping Good Yarns: Saturn Awards Best Action/Adventure Film

There are awards designed just for Rippers!  These are the Saturn Awards that will be presented in June, honoring the very best in different genre oriented categories of entertainment.  No two hours movies of people drinking tea here!  Just good old fashioned melodrama and entertainment!

Three weeks ago I presented the category of Science Fiction films, and expressed my opinion the Marvel's The Avengers was the best of the bunch.  Chronicle also received Ripper support, and Prometheus starts on HBO this month so I hope to catch that.

Two weeks ago I presented the category of Fantasy Films, and felt like the two major contenders were Life of Pi and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey   I asked my son Benjamin, the only one I know who has seen both which one he enjoyed the most, and he chose The Hobbit.  So there you go!

Last week I presented the category of Horror/Thriller.  In that group, I thought the frontrunner might be Argo, but the film I most looked forward to seeing was The Cabin In The Woods.
Here are the nominations for Best Action/Adventure Film:



Best action/adventure film
The Bourne Legacy
The Dark Knight Rises
Les Miserables
Skyfall
Taken 2

The one Oscar nominee in this category is Les Miserables.  I haven't seen it yet, although I am very much looking forward to it.  I don't think that they have too clear a chance here, because I think the Saturn voters lean more towards, um, more genre oriented movies.
I think the two front-runners here would be The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall.  I have seen and enjoyed both, although for me, I would give Skyfall the clear edge.  The Batman movie wasn't bad, but it was clearly a step down from it's Joker fueled predecessor.  Skyfall, however, was Bond at it's very best.

I have not seen The Bourne Legacy movie.  I fell behind in seeing those movies, and I can't remember where I left off.  I did enjoy the Robert Ludlum books they're based on, so I do hope to catch up someday.  I have a friend who saw and enjoyed Taken 2, but I'm not even sure she'd call it the best in this group.

Next week: Best Animated Film!

What is your favorite in the action adventure category?  I breathlessly await your comments!













1 comment: