Thursday, April 11, 2013

Ripping Good Yarns: Saturn Awards Horror/Thriller 2012


There are awards designed just for Rippers!  These are the Saturn Awards that will be presented in June, honoring the very best in different genre oriented categories of entertainment.  No two hours movies of people drinking tea here!  Just good old fashioned melodrama and entertainment!

Two weeks ago I presented the category of Science Fiction films, and expressed my opinion the Marvel's The Avengers was the best of the bunch.  Chronicle also received Ripper support, and Prometheus starts on HBO this month so I hope to catch that.

Last week I presented the category of Fantasy Films, and felt like the two major contenders were Life of Pi and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey   I asked my son Benjamin, the only one I know who has seen both which one he enjoyed the most, and he chose The Hobbit.  So there you go!

Here are the list of nominees for Best Horror?Thriller:

Best Horror/Thriller Film:
Now here we have a pretty broad category!  It includes Oscar contenders Argo and Zero Dark Thirty, but also horror classics like The Cabin In the Woods and The Woman In Black.


The only one that I have seen so for is The Woman In Black, a classic British horror film reminiscent of the Hammer studio horror films of the sixties.  It starred Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and was a nervous, edgy but traditional horror film.  In my opinion, it was a good film but not a great film.

I would suspect that there would be a great deal of support for Argo, as it did win the Best Picture Oscar.  I haven't seen it yet, so I can't render an absolute judgement.

The film on the list I look most forward to seeing is The Cabin in the Woods.  It is a send off of slasher movies, and I am told has both humorous and unexpected twists.  It is directed by one of my very favorite directors, Joss Whedon (Buffy, The Avengers), and how I've managed not to see it yet is simply beyond me.

There you have it!  I really, really would appreciate your input!  I would love for this to be a dialogue!  Please comment here or on Facebook. 

More nominees next week!


1 comment: