Friday, September 23, 2016

2016 Gridless Tuesday Fall TV


Tuesday's most anticipated new show is This Is Us on NBC at 9 PM.  Well, most anticipated by Alison, anyways.  I am withholding judgment, but I'm willing to try it.  It's something about following eight different people whose only commonality is sharing the same birthday (same day and year, I think).  There's supposed to be some sort of surprising twist to it, which is why I'm going to give it a try.  The promotions are that the characters and situations will seem very real to you.  If it works, you'll laugh and cry.  Maybe at the same time. It premiered Sep. 20.


Marvel's Agents of SHIELD begins Season 4 this year on ABC at 10 PM.  This is my favorite full season (22 or more episodes) broadcast network television show.  I love the world they have created for themselves and I love the character interactions.  That flaming skull in the picture is Ghost Rider.  Not one of my favorite Marvel heroes. but he may be the most mainstream/popular character they've had on the show, gradually bringing the show closer to the Marvel movie universe.



THE GRID IS GONE!

So sorry, but no grid this year.  They're hard to find, and with the explosion of television choices, they are difficult to impossible to pull off.  I will go hour by hour, telling you the scripted shows that are available.


8 PM!

CBS has Season 14 of NCIS (Sep 20).  I've never seen it, but my understanding is that is Illya Kuryakin is in it.  Well, David McCallum, who played Illya in the Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Fox has Season 4 of Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Sep 20), starring Andy Samberg (SNL) and Andre Braugher.  I haven't seen it, but it sounds like a Barney Miller for the 2010's.

ABC's The Middle (Oct 11) begins Season 8.  I think I saw one episode from Season 1.  It didn't catch with me.  But maybe I should have given it a second look.  Alison's Mom swears by this show, and keeps urging us to watch it.  It's a family comedy featuring a a normal family, but with special little quirks.

CW has Season 3 of The Flash starting October 4th.  Benjamin and I watch this show and enjoy it a great deal.  It balances with the spirit of the comic book Flash very well, and balances great characters with scientific plotting.  I loved the introduction of the Flash of Earth 2, Jay Garrick,

8:30 PM!

Fox has Season 6 of New Girl (Sep 20).  Alison and I watch this show.  It can be funny and we enjoy the characters,  It is getting harder to imagine why these characters are still in circumstances where they have to room together. I know renting is expensive out there, but you would think individually they would be able to rent on their own.  and now two of the core cast members are married.  Yeah.  I'm probably over thinking it..

A new comedy starts on ABC, American Housewife ((Oct 11).  It's about a stay-at-home Mom, played by Katy Mixon, trying to raise her kids in Connecticut.  I guess Hollywood is now considering this kind of comedy revolutionary.  You never know.  Much of comedy depends on writing and characters, so we'll just have to see.

9 PM!

CBS has new drama Bull (Sep 20). It's inspired by the time Dr. Phil's life when he was a trial consultant.  Please try if you want to.  Honestly, I'm giving this one a hard pass.  I can tell you that CBS is promoting the holy living heck out of this one.  You can't hardly watch CBS without seeing Bull somewhere.

Fox has Season 2 of Scream Queens (Sep 20).  I watched the first episode and decided it wasn't for me.  But enough decided otherwise that it was renewed.  The sorority girls will now become med students, giving you a whole season of hospital horror fun time.

NBC premieres This Is Us (Sep 20), and is described above.  Either Alison will watch it, or she and I will watch it together.  I got it on the DVR, which is rapidly filling up while I'm involved with the play And Then There was None (come see it starting Sep 29!)

ABC has Season 3 of Fresh off the Boat (Oct 11).  So how many seasons can you still be considered fresh off the boat?  Maybe awhile.  I know that after 34 years in the South, I'm still considered a Yankee.

CW has No Tomorrow (Oct 17), a fun end-of-days rom-com, centered on the premise that the world will end when hit by an asteroid in eight months and 12 days.  Where's Bruce Willis when you need him?

MTV has Season 6 of Teen Wolf.  I don't know much about it, but I don't think it stars Michael J Fox.

TNT has new drama Good Behavior, featuring Downton Abbey's Michelle Dockery as a con artist who likes to steal.  Alison wants to try it, so I may watch the first episode, but I don't know.  Right now, given the current political situation, I'm not really big on con artists.

9:30 PM!

ABC has Season 2 of The Real O'Neals (Oct 11), a family comedy where one son is gay and coming out, and the parents are separated but living in the same house.  Alison and I watched Season 1.  We're not watching Season 2.  Make of that what you will. 

10 PM!

CBS has Season 3 of NCIS: New Orleans (Oct 3) Season 3,  Again, my annual comment - who knew there was so much crime in the navy - so much to sustain THREE (count em - THREE) TV shows?  I haven't watched any of them.  I'm holding out for NCIS: Wichita.

NBC answers the Navy with Chicago, and their big multiple show franchise, starting with Season 5 of Chicago Fire (Oct 11).  I've not seen any of the Chicago shows either.  There I'm holding out for Chicago Wind.

ABC has Season 4 of my very favorite full season broadcast show, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Sep 20).  It's watched and loved by the whole family.

FX has new Comedy Atlanta (Sep 6).  I don't expect to watch this show, led by Donald Glover, but it is great to see there is a show that features a city I used to live near, and worked in for five years. I love that Georgia's film industry is growing.  Maybe I can take advantage of it as I cut further back in accounting. Maybe they'll be a sitcom that needs a Grandpa or an old zombie.

Syfy has new drama Aftermath (Sep 27), about a family trying to cope with events that end civilization as we know it,  This is my cup of tea and I will definitely try it.


IN SUMMARY

The whole family will watch Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Benjamin and I will watch The Flash..

Alison and I will watch New Girl.  We intend to sample This Is Us and Good Behavior, although I am skeptical about both shows.

I alone will sample and most likely watch Aftermath..














No comments:

Post a Comment