Friday, September 23, 2016

2016 Gridless Wednesday Fall TV


Yes, my favorite show on Wednesday night is a comedy.  black-ish starts Season 3 Sep. 21.  For me, it's pulled ahead slightly of Modern Family, because the comedy is more brash and consistent, and it does deal (in a humorous way) with social issues.  Like those great comedies of yesteryear, All in the Family and Maude and the like, it makes you laugh AND think.  Sometimes it feels like a cross between Modern Family and The Simpsons in that the characters reset sometimes.  One week a character will be real religious but then the next week - eh, not so much.  All in all, though, a great show.



Designated Survivor on ABC at 10 PM is my most anticipated new show, and one I've already seen, having premiered Wednesday.  I'm not getting to watch much with the play I'm practicing (come see And Then There Were None starting this Thursday Sep 29 at the Ritz in Waycross!)   I admit to being originally skeptical about this show. For someone who likes politics as much as me, you would think these kinds of shows would be a lock. But I know too much about the subject, and my B.S. meter goes and interferes with my enjoyment of the program. That said, the start of this was very promising. The incident that starts it is horrific, but the whole thing had a very realistic feel to it. I am cautiously optimistic and am hoping it doesn't descend into something like Dave, Being There or Forrest Gump. So far, Keifer Sutherland is playing his part as the new sudden President with warmth and intelligence.

THE GRID IS GONE!

So sorry, but no grid this year.  They're hard to find, and with the explosion of television choices, they are difficult to impossible to pull off.  I will go hour by hour, telling you the scripted shows that are available.


8 PM!


Fox has movie based Lethal Weapon (Sep 21) starring Damon Wayans (the practical cop closer to retirement) and Clayne Crawford (the bat-crap crazy one).  I don't plan on sampling this one, so for those of you who do, let me know how it goes.

ABC's The Goldbergs (Sep 21) begins Season 4.  I've not seen it, but it does look like it could be fun.  It's about the 80s.  If it stays on the air long enough, I guess it could be about the 90s. Unless it becomes about The Decade the Earth Stood Still.

NBC has Season 2 of Blindspot starting September 14 (was at 10 - moves to 8 Sep 21) I've not seen it, but I have some Rippers who like it.  Amnesiactic woman has lots of tattoos that mean something.  I'd probably be pretty pissed if I woke up covered in tattoos, but maybe that's just me.


CW features Season 5 of Arrow.  I watch this show.  I like it.  I do think having 22 plus episodes a year hurts this show.  It requires the stretching out of too many stories that would be better served by a 13 to 16 episode season.

8:30 PM!


A new comedy starts on ABC, Speechless (Sep 21).  It's about a mother and her son with cerebral palsy. I will not watch this, but I do believe the premise of this is a cut above the other new comedies that are premiering.  It stars Minnie Driver and Micah Fowler.

9 PM!

CBS has Season 12 of Criminal Minds (Sep 28). They've lost two cast members, one to quitting and the other to misbehavior,  Cast changes are not unusual in a show this old.  I don't watch but for those who do - please let me know how it goes.

Fox has Season 3 of Empire (Sep 21).  Wow!  Does this show get MONSTER ratings!  I mean, through the roof.  Personally, I have no interest in it.  It's something to do with the record industry, I think.

NBC premieres  Season 18 (!) of Law & Order:SVU (Sep 21). It's the grand-baby survivor of the Law & Order franchise.  I think I've seen a few episodes before.  It's hard for me to tell.  All that Law & Order stuff kinda melded together in my mind.

ABC has Season 8 of Modern Family (Sep 21).  I still love this show but it's getting a little long-toothed.  I smell weddings and more babies.  Babies who will come back next season as Kindergartners.

CW has new show Frequency (Oct 5), based on the movie where the lead character get to talk to her dead father over ham radio.  Premise seems thin to me, but you never know.  I may sample.  I may not.  Time will tell. 



9:30 PM!

ABC has Season 3 of black-ish. (Sep 21).  See above for details!  I'll mention that my son Benjamin is A LOT like the teenage boy on that show! 

10 PM!

CBS has Season 2 of Code Black (Sep 28) It's a hospital show, I think set primarily in the ER. Maybe they should have called it ER or Emergency. Wait.  No, I guess not - those names had already been taken.

NBC has another Chicago show, Season 4 of Chicago PD (Sep 21).  What can I say?  There's been so many shows set in New York City and Los Angeles, Chicago was due.

ABC premiered Designated Survivor (Sep 21).  See above for review. Already I like Thomas Kirkman better than Jack Bauer.


OWN has new drama Queen Sugar (Sep 6).  Set on a sugar cane farm, it is inspired from a book by Natalie Baszile, and is written/produced/directed by the brilliant director of Selma.  We got four episodes of this on the DVR.  Alison is particularly fired up about this show.

Comedy Central has Season 20 of South Park (Sep 14).  I got nothing.  Have at it, fans.


Speaking of not having much to say, Season 3 of Younger is on TV Land.  It's some kind of relationship show?  Maybe comedy?  Drama?  Even reading the description of it, I still can't tell.

FX has American Horror Story Season 6: A Roanoke Nightmare (Sep 7).  Yeah, I watch it.  This year, so far, seems less confusing,as it pretends to be one of those real life docudrama things.  It's a very secretive show and I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say about it (like I have secret inside information - hah!).

Finally, SundanceTV has Season 4 of Rectify, which is announced as its final season.  Guy released from jail who may or may not be a murderer.  Wasn't this already done as a docudrama (Making of a Murderer)?  Anyways, it gets high critical praise.






IN SUMMARY

Alison and I watch Modern Family and black-ish, and frequently Benjamin as well.


Alison is looking forward to watching Queen Sugar. I might - it's iffy.

I will watch Arrow, American Horror Story, and continue to sample Designated Survivor (I'm already 70% on board).





No comments:

Post a Comment