Monday, September 12, 2016

Lighthouse Weekend and Other Monday Musings





Mini-corporate tax season is still going on, but I have a little bit more time this morning.  My sweet dog, Ellie, is under the weather, and we'll need to take her to the vet this morning, and they don't open until 8 AM.

---------------------

Why Lighthouse Weekend?  Well, I don't know.  I know these things work better with pictures, and that's the first one that struck me this morning.  It was a brief weekend, one where I had a rare working Friday.  But what I did have was mostly spent at home.  

-------------------------

We submitted information to start the passport process.  We are hoping to have a trip out of the country within the next year or so.  I've never had a passport before.  Some may be surprised that I've never really done foreign travel.  I've been to Canada several times, but that was when a passport wasn't needed.  And I've been to what I call the Disney Bahamas for a few hours.  But that's it.

------------------------

Sports were unusually satisfying this weekend, at least as far as Michigan teams go.  The Wolverines stromped another opponent, and the Detroit Lions won a close one.  The Wolverines have yet to face a serious challenge, although Colorado on Saturday is definitely a step up in oppositional quality. The Lions demonstrated an ability not to give up and do what it takes to win.  it's a very long season, but it's been a great start for both teams.

The Falcons, on the other hand, proved to be their own worst enemy, incurring penalties at crucial times, and making coaching decisions that stymied the team's ability to be aggressive.

-------------------------------------

A number of series I watched had season enders, opening the way to Fall season.  I will be resuming my Ripping Good Yarn's Fall TV season review, but it may be minus the grid this year.  It is becoming harder to find in magazines, and with so many cable and streaming choice, it is becoming less relevant anyway.

----------------------------------

So Hillary Clinton has walking pneumonia.  Big whoop.  She's a human being and she got what many of us at any age could get.  Indeed, what I've had twice in my life.  What is amazing is how many events she pushed through before she had to rest.  What is not amazing, but Clintonesque, is that apparently she's known since Friday, but kept it secret until her leaving the 9/11 event kinda forced it out in the open.  Typical Clinton behavior - being much more secretive than they need to be.

But I do want to clear things up.

To paraphrase a quote by the first century Rabbi Hillel : "That which is hateful unto you do not do to your neighbor. This is the whole of the Torah, The rest is commentary."

My version:  That which we need to do is to defeat the narcissistic fascist bully con man, Trump.  The rest is commentary.

Let us all, conservative to liberal to everything in between, unite to crush this terrible threat to our democracy and way of life.  Let us not rest until this plague of hate and authoritarianism has been cauterized from our society.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait












No comments:

Post a Comment