Monday, September 5, 2016

The End of Write-cation!

Benjamin stands triumphant over a debris pile.

It was a very good start.

Thursday and Friday I wrote significant chunks on my novelette (novella?), My Europa.  I also worked on other writing projects, like trying to conquer the  word and format processing program, Scrivener.

It was very good, and I felt very productive.

And then it went downhill from there.

Friday was THE DAY OF THE STORM.  Both Alison and Benjamin were home with me, as Pierce County Schools were closed due to the impending sweep of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Hermine.  I spent the day with them, avoiding computers, especially for extensive writing (never knew when the power might go out).  When the storm was finally done, we spent a couple hours clearing the debris in our yard.

Saturday was Waygreen, our monthly local food and arts show, where the OHC Writer's Guild has their own booth.  I spent the morning at that.  It wasn't completely unrelated to writing, as I did sell two copies of History of the Trap.  The afternoon was spent with watching football games, and then going shopping and eating out with the family.

Sunday was church activities that ran from 9 until 2, followed by attending a fine performance at Flying Dragon that highlighted their pre-teens, teenagers and millennials.  I got home close to 6.

Today is Monday.  Alison and Benjamin are home, and we want to have a cookout.  The timing may be odd, because I have to accommodate a 4 PM Holiday play practice for And Then There Were None, a practice that may run as much as four hours.  I need to prepare for the cookout (I do the grilling), and also make sure my lines for the play are memorized.  At my age, that's getting to be more and more of a battle.  I also try to make sure my lines are word for word rather than painting them, and that takes a little more time.

So I guess the question is - do I consider this "write-cation" a failure?

The answer is "nahh" -  not when it's activities with family and friends.  This experience was to ghost what life might be like in retirement.  And the answer to that is "wonderful".

Because I have enough things to do, enough interests and projects, that I will NEVER get bored or listless, and if I'm lucky, I may even get to make a little money.  And I love having more time for family and friends.

So, except for some minor things like financial concerns, I'm ready for the "write-retirement" to begin!










No comments:

Post a Comment