Monday, October 28, 2013

Birds of a Different Location and other Monday Musings






Teams move to different cities, and sometimes they keep their team name and sometimes they don't.  Sometimes it makes sense to keep and sometimes it doesn't.  The Brooklyn dodgers becoming the Los Angeles Dodgers somehow seems okay.  The New Orleans Jazz becoming the Utah Jazz seems wrong.

So the St' Louis Cardinals football team moves to Arizona and keeps their Cardinal team name.  That just doesn't seem right.  Are there a lot of cardinals in Arizona?  Phoenix wavers between hot and hell on earth.  Cardinal is not the first bird when I think of that.  It would almost make more sense to me if the Atlanta falcons swapped team names with with Arizona.

Cardinals just fits with St; Louis.  Of course, St. Louis now has a football team that they snatched from Los Angeles.  Frankly, Rams doesn't seem to fit either place, unless it was meant as a companion name to the USC Trojans.

The world Series is on, but I find it hard to pay attention to.  I am a shallow baseball fan nowadays, and if the Tigers or Braves aren't in it, I don't have a whole lot of interest.  I have a good friend who is a St. Louis Cardinal fan (hope the team doesn't move to Juneau), so I'm very marginally cheering for them.  Besides I remember the most classic World Series as being between the Cards and Tigers.  

With my social director gone for the weekend (Alison had a great time with her mother at the So You Think You Can Dance concert in Atlanta), I had a tough time picking between competing events.  Someone said I should just do what the mood strikes me,  A dangerous suggestion to someone whose mood is usually inclined towards binge watching television and eating pizza.  

Benjamin and I finally decided to go to Amris Jam, a local event to raise money for children with serious health issues.  Benjamin found some friends there, and I did not see him for most of the time I was there.  I didn't really see anyone I knew, which is odd because Blackshear is not that big of a town.  I entered some silent auctions and lost.  I like the part of the cause that helps support these families with sick children, and I certainly support efforts to find a cure.  It saddens me, though, if the money goes to pay medical bills that a better more comprehensive health care system might cover better.  I hate to see families go bankrupt trying to provide medical care to a loved one.  I can't help but think of all the children who don't have festivals and community support.  They count too.  I give and support, but when I pray, I pray not only for these children, I pray that we adopt a single-payer universal health care system.

Until next time,

T. M .Strait








































2 comments:

  1. I'm not watching baseball anymore, either. No Tigers, no watch. Oh, and St. Louis??...should be buzzards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the Cards got carded by the Red Sox. So the team that beat Detroit at least won the Series. Next year with a new manager, and the usual player changes? We shall see.

    ReplyDelete