Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Shut 'Er Down Follies

Don't delude yourself.

Don't pin this on any other group.  This is not a "pox on all your houses" situation.  This is clearly and completely the responsibility of one group.

In the 92 election, Clinton strategist James Carville focused the attention of the campaign with one simple slogan - It's the economy, stupid.

Well, I will not be as blunt as Mr. Carville, but I think you will get my point.

It's the Tea Party, my politically inattentive friends.   No ifs, ands, or buts.

This continuing resolution, and later the deficit ceiling, are no places to try to destroy existing laws.  To take something, as imperfect as it may be, and hissy fit the whole nation about an effort to improve our health care that has been over a century in the making.  The Senate is not going to approve it, nor should they.  The President will veto it, and he should.  The Tea Party is wasting every one's time and resources, and now will begin to hurt every day people.

If you want to blame President Obama, blame him for ever negotiating with these people in the first place, in connection with the debt ceiling.  If you give a child part of what he wants, by giving partly in to him when you shouldn't, they will just come back the next time and try to extort more.

There is some hope that enough sane Republicans will finally have enough stones to stand up to these extremists and that the shutdown will be short lived.  I don't know.  I remain a long term optimist and a short term pessimist.

It is not my intent to bombard Facebook or my friends with the fact of who is responsible for this.  But when I see and hear people blaming the President or the Democrats, or even sane Republicans for that matter, I cannot and will not stay silent.

It's the Tea Party.  Period.


1 comment: