Monday, October 14, 2013

Loyalty Pledge and Other Monday Musings

Sometimes, being a sports loyalist can be a frustrating thing.

The Detroit Lions have never been to a Super Bowl, they have barely even been in the playoffs, yet I stick with them thorough thick and thin.  Well, mostly thin.

Alison has been a lifelong fan of the Atlanta Falcons, and has been rewarded by one Super Bowl appearance that mostly became a John Elway commercial.  This year, a team that was supposed to be a contender, has had one of their most heart-breaking starts ever.

The Detroit Tigers, my favorite team of them all, has been in and around the World Series recently, but have not won since 1984.  If it wasn't for 1984, and more importantly 1968, I would have very little experience as to what it meant to win it all.

The Michigan Wolverines have been one of the best college football teams, won-loss wise, crowd wise, in the history of the sport, but to the best of my memory, they have one SHARED national championship to show for it.  And I have to listen to the SEC fanatics over and over and over again with no relief in sight.

Some people I know switch loyalties easily so they can always be a winner.  That doesn't seem very appealing to me.  I would rather be always on the losing side than just switching around.  Nevertheless, I would really like to feel that charge again that I felt in 1968.

Speaking of inconstant loyalties, one of the side effects of the Tea Party shutdown and debt limit crisis, is the "pox on all your houses" reaction.  There are many who are saying that all of Congress should be fired and replaced.

Truly an entertaining notion.  My guess is, based on the gerrymandering of Congressional districts and voter inattention, we would wind up in the same place.  Yes, there is plenty of blame to go around for the system as a whole, and even Democrats can do the darnedest things.  But I must repeat.  This is THE TEA PARTY SHUTDOWN.  To blame others is a useless waste of time, and will not help us get out of these things in the future.  The message has to be sent loud and clear...the American people will not tolerate these shutdowns and debt crises anymore, and if Republicans continue to support them, they will pay a price.  The best thing to happen to end this crisis is the recent polls that have shown the American people laying blame on Republicans.  It may scare enough who are not Tea Party zombies to break away and do the right thing.

Here's the test. And I seriously am hoping for some answers, from my local 1st Congressional district conservative friends.  Let's say Jack Kingston decides not to run for U. S. Senate but instead wants to keep his seat in Congress.  Are you telling me your "fire them all vigor" would lead you to vote for Leslie Messinger, a moderate Democrat?  Or would you support a Tea Party fanatic in a Republican primary, thereby giving your vote to the very people that CAUSED this mess in the first place?

My point is that all this "fire them all" nonsense is rhetoric, storm and thunder signifying nothing.

On a much brighter note, the Strait clan got out to see Dracula this weekend.  It was a very good play, with great sets and makeup, and some first rate performances.  Connor Griffin as Renfield was one of the best performances I've ever seen in community theatre.  I wish I had seen this the first weekend so I could have done more to promote it.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait


No comments:

Post a Comment