Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Aging of Aquarius

Yes, sometimes a picture says a thousand words.  And sometimes it's just one.



It finally happened.  I guess the real miracle is that it didn't happen sooner.

The theater is such a hard place to leave a legacy.  I have done two dozen or more plays with WACT (Waycross Area Community Theater), and yet it always feels like that there are a lot of people, including many of the actors I am performing with, have never seen before.  It's disturbing in a way in that you would hope you would have left a larger mark.   It's interesting in another way, because it gives you the charge of always having to prove yourself.

A Christmas Carl, the current production I and Benjamin are in, is a very good cast, with a lot of very young actors.  Once again, many have not seen me at WACT before.  I have only been in two productions in recent years, as I have been concentrating a lot of energy on assisting Flying Dragon.  So it is not surprising that I am starting fresh.  We did the play 17 years ago, and the only one besides me involved again from that cast is Rhonda Powers, who is directing the play.

My son Benjamin has three roles in it, and is a doing a great job.  I am very proud of him. He does, unlike my part that is always on stage, get to spend some time with the other actors backstage.  And their big question to him is - is that your Grandfather?  And then they are shocked, SHOCKED to hear I am his father.

Yes, Benjamin is a later in life child for me.  Not Tony Randall or Saul Bellow old, but old enough.  He is a great joy to me, and to Alison, and was to my parents, and certainly for Alison's parents.  When, seventeen plus years ago, I was considering marrying Alison, who is younger than I am, I knew that there may be a child someday, even though at the time she was adamantly denying she ever wanted one.  I was smart enough to know that women changed their minds.  I accepted and embraced the idea.  And like our marriage itself (17 years this November 9), Benjamin has been a wonderful blessing, and a fantastic son.

But Grandfather?  Oh, the curse of white hair!  And of course, I play Scrooge as older than I am.  Nevertheless, when I look at it soberly, I know that it is at least in the realm of possibility.  I know of a woman and friend who is my age exactly, to the day, who has grandchildren...in Benjamin's grade!  I know of a few people who are grandparents before they turn forty.  I, on the other hand, have boys 32 and 29, in addition to Benjamin who will turn 13 December 7, and I have zero (count 'em) zero grandchildren.  So even though it is perfectly logical that I could be a Grandfather, I have not heard myself called that before.

So, I forgive you, my young thespians.  With a grin and a jump, and a Scrooge like "Humbug!", I dance on with my life.  Antique or not, I know I am loved! Life is the bee's knees!

2 comments:

  1. Cute! I will never be called Grandma and I am quite content with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted a daughter, and that did not turn out. So I had thought, you know, maybe a granddaughter? So far...eh, not so much. But I do love my boys and they mean the world to me.

    ReplyDelete