Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Ripping Good Yarns: Movies that Scared Me

The surprise twist isn't what did Alison and me in, although that was surprising enough.  The little boy, as he and his mother were struck in traffic, suddenly receiving messages from his dead grandmother.  We got out of the movie, and it was a  long time before we could pull ourselves together.


Unusual for me,  I know, but this is not a numbered , ordered list, nor is it even comprehensive.  It's just the first set of movies that came to mind when I thought of scary.

Oh, so many Stephen King classics to pick from!  But as far as movies go, this Brain DePalma classic takes the prize.  The grave scene at the end caused me to jump.  Not even readers of the book were expecting that.

Just a theme that scares the living crap out of me.  People go to sleep not knowing a pod is near them and wake up...something else.  Maybe this explains the Tea Party!  YOU'RE NEXT!

So muck Hitchcock to choose from!  But I have to pick The Birds.  Something ordinary turns extraordinary and vicious without any explanation.
The Mike Myers series of Halloween movies is interesting, but the outlier in the series, Halloween III: Season of the Witch, is a real gem.  Thematically more epic in scope, the haunting commercial and  unstoppable evil of the menace made this the best of the whole fleet of these type of movies from the eighties.  Two more days to Halloween, kids!  Do you have your mask from Silver Shamrock yet?

I saw The Exorcist while in college.  My parents and sister came down for a visit and this is what we chose as our "family" movie.  They went back home, and I had to sleep in an empty dorm room.  I was up all night, staring at the window, fearing that something was going to come "through".

No comments:

Post a Comment