Thursday, October 17, 2013

Ripping Good Yarns: New Show Revue

A quickie review of the new shows I have sampled so far, with a quick judgement of each.  The Michael J. Fox Show is a solid but not spectacular new comedy on NBC on Thursdays at 9:30.  Michael J Fox is good, and he is surrounded by a pretty good cast.  His family is interesting - not compelling, but interesting.  There is some play off of his Parkinson's but not so much that it becomes the sole focus of the show.  RATING: 6/10.  WATCHING?  Probably, although not high priority.

Once Upon A Time In Wonderland airs at 8 on ABC.  It is a much more romanticized version of Once Upon A Time, with less immersion into the real world.  The sets are astonishing, and the fantasy setting a bit overwhelming.  I don't know the characters well, but it seems like the romance angle is going to be heavy.  I  don't know if there is enough story-line or compelling characters to sustain my interest.  I'm not sure if I see enough of a story to maintain the momentum of the series.  RATING?  3/10. WATCHING?  May sample once or twice more, but I'm leaning against.

The Tomorrow People at 9 on Wednesday at 9.  A super powered team of young people, similar to the X-Men?  Editing done by my son?  How could I not be there?  And////I didn't like it.  I fell asleep in it.  It sapped the soul out of an interesting premise.  RATING?  2/10.  WATCHING?  For the sake of my son, and maybe because I watched it too tired, I may give it a chance or two more, but it's doubtful I will keep this.

Sleepy Hollow on Fox at 9.  I had low expectations for this one and did not initially record the first episode.  I caught it in repeat, and both Alison and I are hooked.  High energy and well written, with characters we're already involved with.  And f that wasn't enough, John Noble (Walter from Fringe) is going to be on the show as a regular soon!  The biggest negative for me is the over focus on Revelations - I think that is going to limit story-lines too much.  RATING? 9/10.  WATCHING?  Oh, yeah!

The Blacklist on NBC at 10.  James Spader.  Need I say more?  He is excellent as the creepy quasi bad guy.  They seem to have spent a little more money than most shows on effects, and it shows with some pretty dynamic scenes, including a fairly spectacular train wreck.  RATING? 8/10.  Watching? YES!

Hostages is on CBS Mondays at 10.  When I first heard of this show, I though - how can there be a second season?  Now that I've seen the first episode, I'm thinking - how can there be a first?  They have tried to balance sympathies in such a way that there is no real sense of menace in the show.  I have no idea, from the one episode I have seen, how it's going to have the interest or energy to go a dozen or so more episodes.  RATING? 2/10.  WATCHING?  Maybe one more, just to be sure it's going nowhere.

Joss Whedon?  Check!  Marvel Universe?  Check!  Awesome characters, witty dialogue, and great plots?  DOUBLE TRIPLE CHECK!  RATING?  11/10.  WATCHING?  Full family, must-see TV!


Also saw The Crazy Ones, CBS Thursday at 9, which I could not find a picture of.  The critic reviews have been...not all that great...but I found it to be funny and entertaining.  The cast has a good energy, and Robin Williams is manic and funny.  The outtakes at the end are the best part of the show.  RATING? 7/10.  WATCHING?  I think so,

Shows still to sample?  Reign and Dracula.  So be ready for subsequent Ripping good Yarn updates.  And be sure to tell us what you have liked or disliked of the new shows.


4 comments:

  1. What?? No American Horror Story? I am watching The Blacklist religiously out of the programs listed. I have to catch up on S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hostages to see if I will continue. I will have to check out The Tomorrow People. I can tell you already that I don't like the name...but we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could leave American Horror Story off! You're right. The premiere episode was very good, although that one girl has about the worst supernatural power ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about it!! LOL Well, I caught up on hostages. I think I am going to continue watching because I want to know why he is so angry with the president. I know it relates to his wife, but can't quite figure it out. Now to catch up on S.H.I.E.L.D. These baseball games are throwing me off of my schedule! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And may they continue to do show for the next week or so! Go Tigers!

    ReplyDelete