Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Foodie Fights!

Some foods are sacred.  Some foods evoke such a feeling of nostalgia and/or cultural identity.  Just the though of them trigger memories of smells and good tomes.  When you've been raised in a particular culture, they can seem very strong and important.  It is hard for you to conceive that other people may not have the same reactions as you do.

Living in the South but having been raised in Michigan, I often hear of certain foods being talked of reverently, and the assumption is, that as soon as you hear of them, you are also melting into a puddle as well.  Unfortunately, not all of them do, and I am left feeling like "the other".  Such foods and dishes like oysters, shrimp, low country boil, collard greens, watermelon, kettle corn, the candy divinity, gumbo - all leave me cold or repulsed.  I wish I could share the enthusiasm of those around me, but I just can't.

There are a few other foods that are loved here that I can eat and enjoy, but do so rarely, because they are a bit queasy in the health department.  Fried chicken falls in this category.  It's delicious, but I prefer baked, grilled or roasted as much or more.  So given that those ways are healthier, I rarely eat fried chicken.

There are some southern foods that I have taken a strong liking to, and have developed those feelings of warmth and desire for.  Breakfast in the south is vastly superior to the north.  The concept of putting sausage and cheese inside a biscuit I find one of the south's greatest contributions to mankind.  I find grits amazing, particularly cheese grits.  I love sweet tea, the sweeter the better.  Yes, I have these in moderation, but it makes them all that more special when I do have them.

I'm a little less sure of my nostalgic roots to Michigan foods.  I don't crave Michigan navy bean soup, and rhubarb pie will give me terror sweats just thinking about it.  The foods I remember may just be peculiar to me and my family.  A & W Root Beer, Faygo Red Pop, Cream of Wheat, Cream Corn Souffle, apple cider, apple pie, ham croquette from Bill Knapps, pastees from the UP, Spanish meatballs.  Casseroles in general are much more prominent where I grew up than down here.  So help me remember, Michiganders!  What are some great foods from our area that the thought of leaves your mouth watering and your memories all aglow?

If I had grown up with a different ethnic background, I'm sure this list would be quite different.  My love of Italian food makes me wonder if I wasn't Italian in a previous lifetime.

So, my southern friends, although I can't share all your foodie enthusiasms, I do respect and understand them.  Just don't expect my eyes to turn misty when they're mentioned.  And please, do pass the sausage cheese grits!

6 comments:

  1. Better Made potato chips, pickled bologna, Keogels hot dogs, Mackinaw Island fudge,paczki, and at one time Vernors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Is Vernor's gone? How could that be? I do like the fudge! Do you remember Paramount Potato Chips? To this day, I can't get their commerical out of my head - the old cowboy potato chip! "Yessiree, they're pips! Paramount Potato Chips!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Vernors is still here...what I meant was that it is all over the place now...not just MI! For some reason I can't picture the Paramount potato chip commercial...but I remember that little song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vernors is not what it used to be. When it was a local brew it had a lot more ginger in it, thats what gave it that hot taste.
    What I miss is kogel hot dogs, you cant get a decent dog in the south or good Polish sausage. its like they never heard of Garlic here
    Dont get me wrong I love Georgia. but you cant even get a real paczki here They cant even pronounce it. They sell regular jelly doughnuts on Ash wednesday that dont even come close.
    I have found a place where I can get Pinconning cheese
    I also miss Tony's, Michigan Coney Island and Sunday dinners at Zhenders

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kroger here once carried Win Schuler cheese, which I think is from Ann Arbor, at least that's where the restaurant is. And I'm so sorry, Paul, I don't know what a packzi is.

    My favorite drink still is to go to an A & W root beer stand during Michigan Fall and get a frosty mug of root beer. Cider from a cider mill is also very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A paczki is a polish pastry traditionaly served on Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. Its kind of like a jelly donought except it is much heavier due to the extreme fat content. the too major indredients are lard and sugar. a proper one has some heft in your hand. and although it is delicious to eat, it sits in your stomach like a sugary brick. by the way its pronounced Poonch-key

    Unfortunately, the A& W root beer you remember is gone forever. The Main flavor ingredient Sassafras root has an oil that was deemed in 1977 to be carcinogenic. It was this oil that gave it that smooth creamy taste we all loved

    ReplyDelete