Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Roly Poly Pudding 'n' Pie: The Great Strait Photo Show

Watched a roughly fifteen minute DVD that my sister compiled for my father's 90th birthday.  It is composed of slides and pictures dating back from 1957 to the present.  It represents a journey through time, showing the growth of three generations of a family, and the love that binds them.  My sister did an absolutely awesome job and I commend her.

It is very difficult looking at pictures of my mother as she is no longer alive.  She died October 19th, 2008, and I have missed her ever since.  Yes, I am one of those who sometimes walks away from pictures rather than deal with the harsher edges of memory.  So, that was the difficult part.  Allowing myself to reminisce and not be overwhelmed by sadness.

Time is cruel.  It takes no prisoners, it leaves no one untouched.  You could see the changes as every family aged.  There were also pictures of Grandma Martin, whom I loved dearly and lost when I was only 12.  I could see myself age from a skinny little kid to a fat gray-headed old man.

But time is also sweet.  I could see the bonds of love that swept across the ravages of the decades, the simple joy in having children and being with grandchildren. I saw the excitement of each descendant at being around my Mom and Dad.  You could see the echoing effect of the caring and good values that have been passed on.  You can look back and not just see the faded past, but also the promise of the future.

There were no pictures of Dad working.  None.  And that was a relief.  Work was important to my Dad, but that is not what he treasures now.  And I realize that for me, over the years giving the lion's share of my vacation to trips to Michigan, was not a sacrifice but a privilege, that I and my children got to be such a large part of the cavalcade of my parent's time on Earth.

Yes, I can see that I am fat, a real live roly-poly.  I need to do something about that.  The big shock are in some of the recent pictures. Some of the shirts I like wearing are my worst enemies.  That and not being first in line every time someone says "Buffet!"

Happy Birthday, Dad!  May these pictures give you joy, a reminder of the many wonderful family times we had, and bring you to a deeper certainty that the greatest work you and Mom did wasn't for any employer, but in leading your children and grandchildren to understand the power of love.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment