Friday, June 22, 2012

Ripping Good Yarns: Comedy Series Final Voting

It's time to vote!!! The nominations for comedy series are set!  Please vote for one of the six, even if you have voted before!  


Considerations for whom to vote for should include that these shows should have a strong plot line, and interesting characters. Another consideration as to what qualifies as Ripping Good Yarn are continuity elements.  I feel the more the stories and characters cross over into each episode, the better.  This diminishes for consideration, but doesn't eliminate, shows that primarily focus on single, done-in-one stories, such as some of the USA, TNT and Lifetime programs.


These are your six nominees:

30 Rock:  This is a gem displaying the creative talent of Tina Fey, the writer and star.  It also features the talents of Alec Baldwin, Tracy Morgan and Jane Krakowski.  It's almost a modern, high juice version of The Dick Van Dyke Show.  Although I do miss Tina Fey coming home to Mary Tyler Moore, or tripping over the ottoman.   

The Big Bang Theory:  Hugely popular nerd fest that may feature acutual comic book references.  I have not yet seen this program, but I should get the first season fairly soon via Netflicks.    


Hot In Cleveland: It took me awhile to remember the name of this show.  Because I kept thinking of it as The Betty White Show!  She is awesome...nobody can deliver a line like her.  

Modern Family:  Great show about the various Dunphy clan.  Every actor, child and adult, hits it out with all cylinders.  The only unrealism in the show is people always talking to their video camera.  Who does that?  Yet it seems to infect a lot of shows. Nevertheless, this is one comedy my whole family watches faithfully, and always gives me huge laughs.  


Parks & Recreation:  I am a latecomer to this series but I am enjoying immensely.  Great ensemble cast, and I enjoy Amy Poehler's entertaining run for City Council.  Rashidi Jones, Aziz Ansari, Aubrey Plaza, Nick Offerman and even Rob Lowe, are all outstanding!  Trying to go back and catch this from the beginning.  Nick Offerman's hilarious anti-government government worker reminds me of some of the people I meet around here.

Raising Hope: This show can be very silly, but also very affecting in a way.  This low-income family is probably living a lifestyle a lot closer to most Americans than most television shows.  And Cloris Leachman as Granma is a blast and a half!  Come to think of it, if Cloris Leachman and  Betty White got together and did the same sitcom - we wouldn't even have to have this contest!  It would be a no-brainer! 

Voting is now open, and I will close sometime Sunday, probably early evening.  Vote here or on facebook.  You can just name your choice, and/or  you can advocate for it - your call.  I would prefer that you not denigrate the choices other people make.  I look forward to your participation.

Remember, even if you have voted before, PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!!!

Let the final vote begin!

4 comments: