Thursday, June 7, 2012

Not Too Big to Fail

I admit.  This topic needs to be filled with researched facts.  And, believe me, they exist.  But here's the bottom line;  I don't know what good they do.  We all seem to go to our respective corners anyway.

You look out at the vastness of the ocean and you think - this planet is so vast that there is virtually nothing people can do to it to damage it.  Oh, sure, it might not be too good if we threw around thousands of nuclear weapons, but everything else, why, nature and market forces will take care of.  Everything will adjust and be perfectly fine.

Uhh, no it hasn't been and uhhh, no it won't be.  Mankind has had a tremendous effect on the environment, and it will continue to have an accelerating effect in the future.  We are constantly reshaping the planet.

The North American continent looked completely different before the arrival of European settlers.  They changed the way land was used, what kind of flora and fauna thrived in the new world.  Swarming hordes of buffalo were destroyed, whole forests were eliminated, top soils depleted, dust bowls started, pollution and smog.  Please don't tell me mankind can't alter his environment.

We can do thins that improve things, extend our time at the top of the global food chain.  We reversed acid rain, with the help of government legislation and regulation.  We saved the ozone through the regulation of fluorocarbons.  The Clean Air Act, the EPA, the green revolution in food - all these things and others have helped us gain time.

Now we are faced with the worst threat of all, the horrendous climate change most often referred to as global warming.  I don't believe the threat of global warming is as bad as the mass media is telling you.  I believe that it is much, much worse. I further believe that we are rapidly approaching the turning point of us being able to do anything about it.  Soon, if not already, the problems will accelerate of their own accord and there won't be anything we can do about it.

This is by far the most grave threat the world faces, and much of the American Public, along with the majority of politicians (including some Democrats) have their heads in the sand.  I don't know if we any longer have the will power to reverse this thing, like we have in times past.  We are so divided and unwilling to listen, I fear that we will this time just let the window close.

And then where will we be?

The sun'll come out tomorrow, but you'll have to spend your bottom dollar on SPF 30,000.


4 comments:

  1. I don't get it either, Tom. I think the only ones who really get it are the people our age. The older people don't understand how it could happen and the younger people don't care. Just out of curiosity, what is the average of the Congress and Senate?? Just ages, not parties. I know that whole story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be a little more sensitive to this with my son Doug being an environmental scientist. I'm not sure of the exact age of our legislature, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't skew towards social security age.

    Oh! I just looked it up. At the start of the most recent session, the total average was 58.2 years old, 57.2 in the house and 63.2 in the Senate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there was more that we could do. Our survival is dependant on the earth and the earth's survival is dependant upon us. There are many major changes that we would have to make to improve our circumstances and our futures. I think it could be done, it would just take the doing for lack of better words. The hard part would be getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best guess? If we do anything, it will have to be in the next two congresses. It would require a progressive majority and I don't know how likely that is. As long as Republicans are rewarded for behaving badly, as they were in the recent Scott Walker recall, they will continue to behave badly.

    ReplyDelete