Saturday, June 23, 2012

Waiting for Supremot: Saturday Political Soap Box 27

I wanted to reassure you that the good ol' Saturday Political Soap Box Feature of The Strait Line had not been abandoned.  Saturday mornings have sometimes been busy, but the major problem has been that most of my political thoughts have been centered around the impending decision of the Supreme Court, in which they may obliterate large chunks or even the entirety of the Affordable Care Act.

The Romney/Obama race jugs on, with nasty barbs and stupid remarks on both sides.  We have made  incremental adjustments to our immigration policy.  We sit idle on a stagnant economy, as it gets buffeted around by events in Europe and by the complete lack of action on a needed second stimulus or action by the Fed.  The vote in Wisconsin could be analyzed to death.  We continue to ignore climate change, thinking it will magically go away instead of getting worse and accelerate like it has been.

But it is hard for me to think of these things when the most important piece of legislation since Medicare is on the line.  No, it is no way a perfect piece of progressive lawmaking.  It is mostly centered on Republican ideas and could be fairly called Romneycare. But it's a start, and it's what we got,  It does build a foundation for the future, one in which, like Canada, some states could adopt something closer to a single-payer system, that once all but the most regressive states (Helloooo, Georgia!) see in practice, would catch fire across the country.

I cannot imagine what will happen if we have to step backwards again.  This is not academic.  Lives are at stake.  Alison says I worry too much about things I can't control.  And she is right.  And this, my friends, is a biggie.

I will save my real fire and angst for when this verdict actually comes down.  Whether this is a fair use of faith or not, I am praying that the law is preserved in it's entirety. To my Republicans and conservative friends who wish for the partial or complete destruction of this law, I caution you - you really should be careful what you wish for.  It will have negative effects and repercussions you can't even begin to imagine.

So I sit and wait, worried and stressed, over something I have no control.  And it seems hard to argue over the latest crazy antics of our political figures when all of this hangs in the balance.  So I wait for Supremot, distracting myself with what I can, knowing that nine people hold a fiddle that could burn down the entire country.

No comments:

Post a Comment