Saturday, June 16, 2012

Ripping Good Yarns: Best of Summer TV

It used to be that summer was a vast wasteland on television, filled with repeats and, on rare occasions, a washed up pilot idea.  Once every few years you'd get a gem like The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour or The Prisoner, but they were few and far between. And there were only the three major networks and PBS to pick from.


Now things are wide open as television has learned to operate on more of a year round basis.  Short series (13 or fewer episodes) abound and the number of channels showing at least one or two scripted series have exploded.


The following are the best summer scripted series to watch for.  This is based on my own interest and from the input I've seen so far from fellow Rippers.  It only includes scripted shows who meet the base definition of a Ripping Good Yarn :  more melodramatic than the average show, strong plot lines, interesting characters, the presence of continuity elements.  I feel the more the stories and characters cross over into each episode, the better. 

These are your six best of the best:

Breaking Bad:  This show is nasty but very entertaining.  Bryan Cranston is compelling as the ex-teacher with terminal cancer who decides to parlay his chemistry background into making designer drugs.  He keeps making the wrong choices, and finds himself pulled down an increasingly darker path.  Premieres July 15th on AMC.   

Bunheads:  The talented people behind Gilmore Girls are behind this show.  So it has outstanding pedigree.  An ex-dancer teaches ballet in a small California town.  That's the plain summary, but the characters should be sharp and the dialogue snappy,  Premiered June 11, ABC Family.


Dallas: I got the the theme music in my head just thinking about this.  Dallas is back, and includes original stars Larry Hagman (J.R) and Sue Ellen (Sue Ellen).  It also features new generation as well.  I don't know how this update will be, but the original was a Ripping Good Yarn classic, with one of the most talked about cliffhangers in the history of television.  Who shot J.R.?  Oh, Bing Crosby, say it ain't so!  Premiered June 13th on TNT.  

Falling Skies:  A Rippers fan favorite!  A drama of an alien invasion executive produced by Steven Spielberg, it feature a community of valiant resistance fighters and their families as they defy the odds against them. Premieres June 17th on TNT.


Hell On Wheels:  This It's a western!  And a darn-tootin' good one!  Centers on the westward expansion of the railroad, and features the rapper Common in a great acting turn.  Really good continuity elements, and some good commentary on the nature of race and gender. Premieres August 15th on AMC.

True Blood: Over the top vampire action!  And I do mean ACTION - of all kinds, if you know what I mean.  Cast full of great characters, plots that move at breakneck speed, vampires with real bite, this series has a lot to offer.  My favorite vampire is Russell Edgington - a vampire in the true, most vicious sense.  He once ripped the spine out of a news reporter WHILE HE WAS ON THE AIR!  Premiered June 10th on HBO. 

Honorable mention must also go to Damages (July 11th on Direct TV), Alphas (July 23rd on SyFy) and Suits (June 14th on USA).  My biggest frustration so far this year is that I have been unable to find repeats of Revenge.  If anybody hears when or if they are doing that, please let me know.

So you are not alone this summer!  Plenty of great new Ripping Good Yarns to choose from.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I am going to check out a couple of these. As far as Revenge goes, I do not believe there will be any repeats of Revenge...but, I'll let you know if I find out otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Benita! I appreciate it! I wonder if ABC will make it available for streaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Tom!! I almost forgot! You can watch every episode of Revenge on HULU!! For free!! (not HULU plus) I remember going there when I missed an episode and watching it. So I just checked and all of season 1 is there in all its glory! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, my vote is for Hell On Wheels!

    ReplyDelete