Friday, June 15, 2012

A Philosophy of Swearing

What is swearing?

The common understanding seems to be a list of forbidden words, the use of which, because of their connotative meanings, seems to offend groups of people.  Some have a long list of these words, others may concentrate on using god's name in a curse, such as "God damn it!"

The biblical admonition to not take the Lord's name in vain has nothing to do with any of that.  It has do with the misuse of the deity's name in making an assertion as true that you are doing something in the name of God that you are actually doing in the name of you.  So forcing other's to your will by claiming that the you are representing the Lord when you are clearly not would be a big no-no.  For example, if you say you are taking up the mantle of Christ but do absolutely nothing to change your lifestyle, then you have taken the Lord's name in vain.  If a country has a military goal and they wrap it in the mantle of religion (God is telling us to go and conquer so an so), you are using the Lord's name in a vain and deceptive manner.  If you say you are doing something because "God told you to", and no such thing occurred, you are taking the Lord's name in vain.  If you tell your congregation that only way to assure yourself of God's blessing is to give you lots of money, you are taking the Lord's name in vain.  Politicians are constantly twisting religion to justify their positions - you don't even want to get me started on that.

To me, swearing is most importantly using language in an exploitative or abusive manner designed to either force people to do what you want or demean them.  In that case, it is not a specific set of words but what your intent in using any set of words is.  When a student gets a bad grade and the teacher says, "Well, I suppose that is the best I could expect from someone like you" that teacher has used language in a swearing, demeaning destructive way.  When someone use the n word, in our culture, they are telling  the person or people that they are inferior, beneath them, worthless.  Swearing can even be done by a non-verbal attitude or stance.  Swearing is the language of control, exploitation and destruction.

Words have meaning and power, but those meanings shift over time and cultures. What is considered awful in one generation is considered harmless in another.  We should not focus solely on a list of forbidden words.


I have tried to teach my boys to use language in a respectful way.  I have tried to teach them not to use language in a destructive way.  I have not taught them a list of forbidden words (except the n word).   I  do tell them to be attentive to their audience and adjust their language accordingly.  We are all human and slip up.  Place love and faith at the center, and that will help see you through.


3 comments:

  1. I love the analogy to politicians and preachers to using the Lord's name in vain when indeed they are speaking for themselves. I've never looked at it that way. Thanks for clearing up the mystery behind the whole "Lord's name in vain" thing. I never really looked at it too deeply and find it fascinating. I'm reading Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason...kind of fits right in with this idea. But, that is for another post...You can download it for free on Nook if you've not read it...the guy was so smart...a heretic...but so smart... hahaha.

    I'm kind of a big cusser...not at other people or anything...I'm not a big demeaner, so to speak...but, I drop the bomb now and then...like when I stub my toe..bomb..or drop a glass...bomb...bad news...bomb...So, I had to come up with something to keep my kids from taking it to the playground. I told them when they were really little, "If you use cuss words or any ugly language, your friends'parents won't let you play with them." It held them off from cussing until they were in high school...and then, they'd look around to see their audience. Now, they're grown..I'm out of it. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it, Colleen. That's pretty much the way I handled it. The only truly ugly talk is the kind that trashes other people. The rest is atmospherics and knowing your audience.

    I don't think I've read Thomas Painee stright through. but I think it would be wothwhile. I'll try to check that out! - Tom Strait

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Place love and faith at the center and that will help see you through." Yes.

    ReplyDelete