Monday, February 3, 2014

Baking Up a Great Weekend and Other Monday Musings

A brand new bakery has opened up in Hoboken (the one near us here in Georgia, not the one in New Jersey that the Christie administration has been trying to extort), and Benjamin gives it the big double thumbs up.

Benjamin in front of a delicious cupcake display.  His thumbs up is being echoed by the fabulous baker-owner, Jeff Wainright.  They also make fantasitc mustache sugar cookies, out of this world cream horns, and scrumptious custom made cakes.  If you live anywhere in the area, you owe yourself a visit.  Main Street Hoboken in a small shopping center near the Shell station.

Meanwhile, the giant bluebird of happiness has now found it's way inside our screened porch.


It was a bit more of a relaxed weekend than last, although I have not made quite the progress I had hoped on some of my writing projects.  I just have to make sure that my discouragement of not making it far enough doesn't cause me to give up altogether.  Slow progress is better than no progress.

We watched the super bowl commercials, skipping 95% of the game.  The one commercial that I laughed and laughed and laughed at was the VW commercial where a German engineer got his wings when a VW rolled over to 100,000 miles. The Bud commercial with the dog and horse was schmaltzy but cute.  I wanted to fast forward through the pre-game show but I got outvoted.  Bruno Mars proved to be a good entertainer, even if two out of three of the songs he sang were fairly bland.  I did enjoy the one that was a bit more old fashioned rock and blues, almost suggesting James Brown in parts.

I am not quite there yet, but I am beginning to have my doubts a bout football.  It is becoming clearer and clearer to me that football causes more damage to players than I had previously thought.  I am not sure there is a safe way to play it.  It is such a central part of our identity, especially when identified with hometown teams, or colleges you or family may have attended, that it becomes harder to drop.  I have enjoyed sharing Alison's love of the Atlanta Falcons, and that is a hard thing to turn my back on.  But I have to consider that I'm watching a sport that I would not want my son to play, and how fair of a consideration is that to other sons of other parents, in being complicit in supporting a sport that endangers their sons?  It's something that I have to think more about.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait



2 comments:

  1. Loved the VW commercial. The rainbow ending was very funny. I didn't enjoy the game. I really enjoy college football. I believe it can definitely be made safer and they have the money for research and implementation. Hard choices ahead but clearly necessary to keep the sport alive. No other sport brings the excitement of football at all levels.
    The Blue Baker Bakery is awesome! I am looking forward to going again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Joe Namath's interview on CBS.

    ReplyDelete