Thursday, February 13, 2014

Ripping Good Yarns: To Mooovie or Not to Mooovie?

The surprise leading contender if my primary co-patriot in seeing a movie is Benjamin.

The leading contender for a Valentine's outing with Alison.  I read and enjoyed the book a number of years ago.


How to choose?  how to choose?  What do you go by?  Word of mouth?  Critical reviews?  Advertising?  Gut instinct?

Often I go by Directors or creators that I have enjoyed in the past.  That does not seem to be much of a help this weekend.  A story line that is intriguing to me will get a leg up (or a Lego up, as the case may be), including stories I may have read in the past (such as Winter's Tale).  I seldom pay attention to who is in a movie - an all star cast neither persuades or dissuades me (I'm looking at you, Monuments Men!).

So, anyways, based on what's playing at the local bijou, here are the leading possibilities , with Rotten Tomatoes current favorable percentage:

If Benjamin is my co-patriot:


The Lego Movie - 96%.  Yes, this movie has a higher critical rating than Frozen (89%).  At first blush, it sounds about as likely contender as a Barney the Dinosaur movie, but after seeing a trailer, and hearing about the story, and the subversive directors that made it, I'm on board to give it a try.  Amazingly, my 13 year old boy, who is a powerfully good Lego builder, seems a little less fired up than usual, so we will see.

Robo-Cop - 50%.  Benjamin is more fired up about this film, but it gives me a slight feeling of deja vu.  Now why would that be?  Anyways. it's promoted as a better acted and structured version, with less humor and satire.  I dunno.  I kinda liked the satire and humor.


If Alison wants to make it a Valentine's date:

Winter's Tale - 6%.  I really wanted to see this movie and it gets a rating like this?  That's when you really have to decide what critical reviews mean to you.  It could very easily be a very bad adaption of a fairly good book, but who knows.  My friends are no help, because even those I though would be interested don't seem to care about it.  But a romantic fantasy set in New York City and spanning 100 years?  On paper, this is right up mine and Alison's alley.  Oh, well.

Endless Love - 27%.  Now on paper, this sounds like a really bad 80s romance movie.  Not the good John Hughes kind, but the drecky Brooke Shields movie-without-a-sense-of-humor-or-soul kind.But after reading the description of it, I think it may even be worse than that.  Privileged girl attracted to the "wrong kind' of by.  For adolescents this may be a contender, but for Alison and me - eh, not so much.

If it's me:

The Monument's Men - 34%.  The premise is interesting - trying to locate and preserve art during World War II.  This is one where the critics have given a big meh, but the word of mouth has been good. The only problem is that since I'm the only one interested, it probably is wait for streaming release option.

So what will be the winner?  What will be the big choice?

Well, if this weekend is typical of most weekends, the choice will be....(drumroll. please)..................

Nothing.

Usually movies fall short to other things in the weekend.  We have a Saturday night Valentine's supper that the church Sunday School is putting on.  And Flying Dragon has Little Women (Saturday night at 7, Sunday afternoon at 3).  And there is work.  And the Olympics.  And a writing assignment I have to get done.

Ah, movies.  You may escape my grasp again!  Something to think about anyways.





No comments:

Post a Comment