Thursday, February 27, 2014

Ripping Good Yarns: Tom's Top Five Movies for 2013

From the best my dim little memory can conjure up, theses were my favorite movies of 2013.  This includes any movie that I actually saw for the first time in 2013, and not just those released.  There were a lot of great movies I missed, so they may show up in later years.


#5....I enjoyed this quite a bit, but there were two big surprises for me with this movie.  The first was that it was a kind of opera, and was completely sung.  I kind of missed having occasional dialogue.  The second was that the message of this movie, as well as Gatsby,  was pretty much missed by my conservative friends.



#4 is this movie based on a real incident in Oakland, California.  The two leads here are just outstanding in the movie, and I think Michael B. Jordan is going to develop into a major star.



#3 is the second movie in The Hunger Game series.  I found this substantially better than the first movie.  I had a much better sense of what they were doing and why.  


#2 was a great ride, even if it does stretch out Tolkien's simpler story of The Hobbit.  It moved better than the first, and did not seem as long to me as the first one did.



#1 with a phaser is this amazing Star Trek movie.  Everything a Ripping Good Yarn should be.  If you missed this movie because you just thought it was for Trekkies, you missed out on the best movie of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment