Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Winter is Going



Another Winter Olympics have drawn to a close, and as the sports saying goes, "aaand nobody got hurt!"

Well, I'm sure there were some bumps and bruises, but I was very happy there were no major terrorist incidents, no explosive brouhahas.  Russia was unpleasantly anti-gay, some of the facilities not very good, the security presence overwhelming and all-intrusive, some events sparsely attended, some judging suspect, but at least it was relatively quiet.  Unlike Kiev.

I enjoyed curling, although I still have yet to quite comprehend the scoring.  But it looks cool.

I saw a good bit of figure skating.  That is one of the things Alison likes.  I think I liked the pairs best, whereas she liked the ice dancing best.  The team skate was an interesting concept, and created an event that allowed for more co-ed competition, which I like.  I don't know why some of the relay events couldn't also be co-ed.  Maybe in time.

Women's figure skating has been ruined by the inclusion of girls that are too young.  We did not have a fifteen year old win this year, but it could have happened.  I think the age limit should be seventeen or eighteen.

My favorite events this year were the snowboard cross and the ski cross.  Four to six competitors race against each other to go down a course that includes hills and turns, all downhill in a rapid fashion.  There are spills and crashes, almost like the NASCAR of Winter Olympics.  It was unpredictable and awesome.

Under my patented medal ranking system. giving three points for a gold, two points for a sliver and one point for bronze, the big winner was the host country Russia (surprise!) with 79 medal points.  In second was Canada with 55 medal points.  Tied for third were the United States and Norway with 53 each.  Fourth was Netherlands (thank you, speed skating!) with 47, and fifth was Germany with 39.  Some 62 countries came and did not win a single medal.

I don't watch a tremendous amount of sports on TV, so it will probably be another fours years before I focus on winter sports.  Unless the pond here freezes over.  Then I will find some skates and create my own Winter Olympics.

Until somebody gets hurt.  Most likely me.  Oy, it's been a long time since I put on skates!

No comments:

Post a Comment