Saturday, February 1, 2014

Confessions in the Garden of New Life Part One

Click-Click!

Pastor William Daniel Harvey eased his keys back into his pocket.  Trust the Lord and his congregation, but it doesn't hurt to use a few precautions in locking his Cadillac SRX.  The church had many enemies, and there was no sense in tempting them by leaving his new 50k SUV unlocked.  It was just a couple of months ago when a couple of teenage vandals were caught keying some cars in the lot.  Some wanted him to immediately call the police.  Hailey Martin actually wanted to cut their hair, to "teach those hoodlum hippies a lesson".  But he did neither of those things.  He and several of his male brethren carried them into the youth chapel, and he proceeded to preach to them.  Eventually, other teens joined in and added songs, making it a joyous revival. One of the "hoodlums" was resistant, but the other was soon in tears.  The boy tearfully gave testimony and then was saved.  The boy has been attending church three times a week ever since.  Never underestimate the power of the Lord!

Pastor Dan was not native to Crowley.  He was born in Tennessee, but had lived many places, as his father was in the military, rising to the rank of General in the army.  Like many a young person, he'd had wild times, although not as crazy or destructive as some.  It was enough to puff up a bit, making a compelling conversion testimony to tell his eager listeners, demonstrating how much letting Christ in could change their lives.

He entered through the big glass double doors, the entry for the new office wing.  The nice new offices were modern and clean.  He was strict about minimizing the clutter.  The walls had posters with pictures from Bible stories, including one of  Noah's Ark being battered by rising waters; with the saying "God will see you through the storms that try to pull you under."  Another showed a Nordic looking Jesus, glowing with backlit sunlight, saying "Let the light of Jesus lead you to a New Life."

New Life Baptist Church was at one time one of the smaller Baptist churches in Crowley, suffering under the competition of multiple Baptist churches in the area.  The pastor at New Life had been caught shoplifting, and people were leaving in droves.  Larry Luck, who had a summer home in North Georgia, saw Dan preaching at a small church in the foothills of the Appalachians. He was mesmerized by what he saw, and brought Dan down to be interviewed by the church Deacons (what was left of them).  They were enthralled, agreed to a salary they could not possibly afford.  Pastor Dan's high energy enthusiasm and catering to teens and young adults paid off, the growth of the church even outpacing his growing salary demands.

"Good morning, Pastor Dan!" his cheery receptionist Dana Montague said.  Dana was young and chipper, a very attractive woman in her early twenties.  Her long black hair streamed half way down her back, and her pretty face never failed but to be lit up by a smile.  Pastor Dan thought it was best that the first face visitors to his office saw was a pretty, pleasant one.  She nodded to a woman seated on a sofa just outside his office.  "She's been waiting to see you this morning.  Her name is Janet Roper, and she was a visitor last week."

Pastor Dan looked over at her.  Janet Roper looked anxious sitting there, perched at the edge of the sofa.  She was attractive but a little weather worn, probably in her early thirties, he would guess.  She had short cropped hair, dyed a dusty blond.  She was dressed as if for a job interview, a crisp knee length green skirt, and a white blouse.  He tried to remember why she might be there, but hopefully it was to add to his flock.  He seemed to remember she had come with a boy.  He didn't remember a spouse.

He came over to her, a big smile on his face.  Pastor Dan was tall and rail thin, like a cross between Ichabod Crane and Jimmy Stewart, with maybe a touch of Tony Perkins.  "What can I do you for, Janet?  I'm so glad that Jesus has led you to my doorstep this morning!"

"Y-yes, thank you, Sir."  She was nervous as a tick on a gator's back. 

"Please, you can call me Pastor Dan!  We don't cotton to formality here!"

"Ok.  Anyways, I was at your church last Sunday, and you mentioned that you might know of some people that you could help get me job interviews with.  I don't mean to presumptuous, but I'm here to follow up on that."

"Not at all, Janet!  Glad to help where I can!  So, did you enjoy our fine church?"

"I-it was very.....interesting," replied Janet, sounding like she was trying to put a positive spin on a root canal.

"Did somebody follow up with a visit to you?"  That was supposed to always happen with new visitors.  If it didn't, he'd have to have another stern meeting with the visitation committee.

"I'm sorry about that.  They came while I was not there, and I'm afraid my son David did not let them in the house."

Well, at least there was an attempt, but he would have to talk to them about persistence. "Yes, I would love to help.  What is it you are experienced at?"

"Bookkeeping, mostly.  And clerical, I guess.  I really am looking for almost anything to help support myself and my son." 

"Oh.  You're single, then.  That must be a real hardship."

"Separated.  In the process of getting a divorce."

What a burden to society, he thought.  This tolerance of divorce was what led to the over-burdening of the welfare system.  People putting their own pleasures ahead of their responsibilities and commitments to God.  Nevertheless, it did lead some, particularly women, to be more open to his charisma, and the need to find something else supportive in their lives.  Oh, the way God worked sometimes!  "That's terrible.  Is he around?  Maybe we could council together."

"No, he lives...somewhere else."

"Why don't we come to my office and we can discuss this, if you want.  And I can write down a few leads for you."  He got up and gestured for her to come into his office.

"No, thanks."  She seemed terrified.  "Look, he was physically abusive, okay.  He c-can't know where I am.  I d-don't want to see him again.  I'm..I'm just not ready to talk about it."

Dan realized he has stepped into a more complicated situation than he realized. "Look, my office is always open when you're ready.  Just come to church next week, and I'll introduce you to Houston Graves Senior.  He has a great little CPA firm called...."

"Graves & Robinson, yes, I know!"  Her demeanor changed somewhat.  "I have interview with them on Thursday.  Any good word you could put with them, I would most appreciate it!"

"Awesome!" exclaimed Pastor Dan.  "We have prayer service on Wednesday nights and Houston is always there. I can introduce you then!"

Janet seemed reluctant.  Something about their worship must bother her.  But that's all right.  He could work with that.  He had the contacts she needed.  In time, he could get her passionate.  Passionate for Christ, that is.  "Well, I think I can. I'll check my schedule, but if it will help, I will make every effort to be there."

"Oh, it will help, believe me!  Trust me, Janet.  You are not alone." He took her hands in his.  "Let Christ in and you'll never be alone again.  Let New Life in, and let its spirit fill you with hope and promise."

He felt her resistance melt.  He knew it!  It was coming!  Another soul would be saved!

At least, until Dotty Mathers walked in.  Her large frame filled the doorway, her stern look almost melting the smile from Dana Montague's face.  And it stiffened Janet as if she had glimpsed Satan.

"I have to go now, Father, I'm sorry.  I-I have another appointment."

Father?  Was she Catholic?  Or even worse, Episcopalian?  This may be more of a challenge than he thought.  "It's Pastor, Pastor Dan.  And please, I do hope to see you for Wednesday night's prayer service."

Dotty Mathers was charging closer, oblivious that he was talking to somebody else.  Dotty was a pain and a pleasure, that's for sure.  No one was more faithful and determined, and no one could be more abrasive.  "I don't mean to interrupt, Pastor Dan, but I have an urgent matter as soon as you're through here."  Oh, Dotty, he thought.  You always interrupt and it's always urgent.

Dotty looked at Janet, dimly recognizing her, and trying to place where she had seen her before.  When she remembered, a look of distaste spread across her face.

Janet's eyes flamed hot.  Pastor Dan thought if Janet was Supergirl she could disintegrate Dotty with heat vision.  She removed her hands form his.  "We'll see.  Thanks for you help.  Goodbye."

She quickly left, not even looking up at Dotty.  "Nice to see you, Janet!" he shouted good-naturedly after her.  "Our door is always open!"  Yes, they would definitely be marked for another visitation.  He would make sure that Dotty was not a part of the team.

"Pastor Dan!" commanded Dotty.  "I have the papers ready!  Are we going to file or not?"

He sighed.  Oh, Dotty!  Whatever did you do to that to that poor woman?



No comments:

Post a Comment