Thursday, August 8, 2013

Ode to a Birthday Girl

You came into the office of my life
I thought you would just help my workly strife
But soon you were bringing me out of my snail shell
You were the birdhouse in my soul as well

At first our relationship was on the toddler hiway
But soon it was clear that it was here to stay
For our contagious love there would be no cure
No disintegration for us, for sure

Soon we were wed to the start
Living in a moldy Rocky Mart
But we had each other, my cornflake girl
With a caped cat that gave the room a whirl

Although the best we tried to Rome,
Ikka and the Riddler, we still made home
Until a promise of the Southland drew its call
And to the land of Blackshear we did haul

At first a one room hovel is all we shared
With dog and cat and birds and rescued Main we dared
Until we found an opening at Church
Both home and Grace did we perch

We didn't have a lot of money
We had much more debt than honey
We worked hard to build a life
Amazingly with tender love and very little strife

And then we did the most wonderful thing of all
Someone came who started very small
And our loved increased its fold
To welcome a child so bold

Through moves and changes and hard work
Through careers and shared passions a-fork
The thing that bound that was far and above
Was our never-ending and undying love

They say that love's flaming embers
                          Dim with the weight of time
                                            And that may be true
All I know is this one thing-
                         That every day I wake up
                                     I wake up even more in love with you.

1 comment: