Friday, August 30, 2013

Winston's Last Town Hall

It wasn't very often that Crowley made the national news.

There were the Chockataw double murders that occurred in July of 1949.  Two young girls found on the Waconee Bridge, strangled and then left posed together in a perpetual hug.  That picture made it into Life magazine.

In the fall of 1993, a paparazzi picture of Jane Fonda and Ted Turner eating at The Chicken Hut made the tabloids.  In the corner, in what would now be called a photo bomb, was a grinning Maybeen Herreld, owner of that fine establishment.  The picture was still hung in the restaurant, although some vandal had drawn a Leninesque goatee on Jane Fonda.

But, thanks to Youtube and Facebook and Twitter and countless other social media, thanks to 24 hour news and blogs and partisan hackery of all sizes and shapes, nothing out of Crowley had gotten as big as this, as quickly as this. 

Congressman Winston had rolled into town as part of a town hall tour during one of Congress' frequent breaks.  That was okay with many Crowley residents, as they really didn't expect Congress to do much of anything anyways.  And it was at the town hall where footage of Dotty Mathers challenging Congressman Stan Winston was taken, and then shortly after went viral.

The town hall was held in Judge Strickland's courtroom where two evenings before, the ghost of Laura Gurney had manifested before the Ghost Squad.  That footage might have created quite a stir, but the Squad was still reviewing it, and was not quite sure what to do with it yet.

A who's who of Crowley's more politically conservative residents were there.  They included Maybeen Herreld and her sister-in-law Doreen, State Farm agent and Honey Dew Lunch Bunch member Andy Caldwell and his brother, Mayor Terry Caldwell.  There was Houston Graves, the CPA and Lunch Buncher. Sitting in the back was the Civics teacher Ronnie Smith.  Up front near the Congressman was Forrest Compton, owner of the Okefenokee Bank & Trust.  And seated in the middle was Pastor Dan and some of his contingent, including Maryanne MacDonald and the strident Dotty Mathers.

Watching the proceedings from the sidelines was Sheriff Alan Steel.  He was there because he had a favor to ask of Congressman Stan Winston.  He had promised Dabs Denison he would do what he could to speed up his military disability, and that's what he was going to do, even if he had to sit through a lot of hogwash and balderdash to do it.

The town hall went back and forth, most questions soft balls to Winston, with no challenges posed to him from the left or the center.  Then Dotty Mathers took the microphone.

She started with the usual rants.  Why would he not do more to repeal Obamacare?  Why was he not leading the way to impeach that foreign born dictator?  Why wasn't he doing more to stop abortion?  Would he be willing to shut down the government if they did not get their way on the debt ceiling?  On and on it went, with the practiced Winston deflecting what she said, agreeing with 99% of it.

But, of course, 99% is nowhere near good enough for Dotty Mathers.

She kept her large framed body planted firmly in front of the microphone.  Others behind her were getting antsy, but she would have none of it.  Even Pastor Dan was getting a little worried.  Violet Ridge, reporter for The Crowley Gazette, was recording it all on her cell.  "Congressman Winston, what are you going to do about the food stamp program?  It is fraught with abuse, perpetuating laziness and dependence, my tax dollars being drained to support good for nothings who just need to buck up and take care of themselves.  Why, just the other day, I had a woman in front of me using food stamps while wearing jewelry fancier than anything I could dream of having, and sporting an expensive, state of the art manicure!  We have to stop this program and the waste it generates.  I need my money I worked hard for to support my own family and church, not for some good for nothings who are too lazy to support themselves!"

Wild applause broke out.  Congressman Winston tried to martial a response.  "Well, Dotty, I couldn't agree with you more that there is plenty of abuse in the Food Stamp system.  We need to do a lot of tightening up of standards and eliminate the many cheaters off the system.  And no able-bodied person should be receiving free government cheese, believe me!  Of course, this is not always easy to accomplish when you're dealing with the "Food Stamp President!"

"No sir!  I did not say police the program!  I say that we eliminate it all together!  Let God and church provide to those in need!  The federal government is not God!  Especially when it is run by so many godless people, including a filthy Muslim foreigner at its head!"  Dotty was in her full glory.

"Well, I don't know about eliminating the program, Dotty.  There are some people in genuine need, and..."

"Sir!" Dotty interrupted, in a powerful, commanding voice that boomed across the courtroom.  "Are you a religious man?"

Congressman Winston's hair bristled on the back of his neck.  "Well, you know that I am.  I am a devout Christian and believer...."

"Are you now?  Really?  Are you not Episcopalian?"
"Yes, Dotty, I am.  It is a fine church, one of the oldest denominations in America..."

"Are you talking about the same group that tolerates gays and even has a gay Bishop?  Even a religious ceremony to bless gay couples?  They do not officially condemn abortion!  You can be in their church and not take the word of god literally!  I say to you all here, does that sound like Christianity to you?"

There were loud shouts of no, but some were feeling unease.  Sheriff Alan was wondering if he would have to intervene.

Winston tried to reply, but Dotty kept plowing ahead.  "I prayed and listened to God before coming here, Congressman Winston, and his answer was so clear, it drove me to my knees!  Your time is up, sir!  It is time for a godly man, a true conservative, a real Christian to take your place!  You will be challenged next year, and it will be God's triumphant truth that wins!"

Congressman Winston tried to retort, but a group of Pastor Dan's people started singing Onward Christian Soldiers, and the meeting ended in chaos.

Afterwards, Sheriff Steel finally got a moment with the Congressman.  "I try, Andy.  I really do.  But sometimes it's real hard staying on top of the crazy train," said an exhausted Winston.  "Maybe I'd be better off just leaving on my own.  The Americans For Better Healthcare and National Timber Council both would pay me fat money to be their lobbyist."

"Before you do that," dryly said Sheriff Alan Steel, "maybe you could help me out with one little thing."  And then Alan told him all about Dabs Denison and his disability needs.

"I will do every thing in my power to help, Alan.  I won't forget how much difference your support made a year ago.  And now that I see some of the people you helped steer my way, I realize what a tough task you had.  But I have to warn you.  My fellow Republicans have been chopping away at veterans programs as much as they can get away with.  It'll be a hard favor to call in when I got people like Dotty Mathers who see any government benefit as ungodly evil."

"Let me tell you something about Dotty," the Sheriff began.  "Dotty is hardly what I would call a taxpayer.  She brags about how her husband's radiator shop has "no reportable income" after deductions.  She is on my list of people to collect years of back property taxes.  She may be many things, but taxpayer ain't one of them."

"Well, that could be good to know in the coming days.  Thank you kindly, Alan.  You have my word.  Your friend's benefits will be fast tracked, even it's the last thing I do in Congress. One thing's for sure.  This is my last town hall.  I'm only doing phone conferences and events where the questions are preselected.  Democracy has just gottten too dangerous" They shook hands and Congressman Stan Winston took his leave, shoulders slumped and head bowed.


The Crowley Crazy Train Express was just starting to pick up steam.  Interesting times, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment