Monday, July 16, 2012

Benjamin Goes to Camp and other Musings

Let's open up the ol' hatchback this morning and see what we've got inside!

Why, lookee here!  It's Benjamin Strait, headed off to summer camp at Honey Creek for the third year.  He now call himself a "veteran"!



So there's my youngest, a confident veteran, so anxious to get started at camp he could barely say goodbye to us, making good friends within thirty seconds of his arrival.  Thank goodness he's not like his shy Daddy, who would've started to make friendships a few hours before camp was to end.  We have prepared a a package of cookies to mail to him.  I'm sure he'll share in a fashion because as he told us from his experiences last year "candy and cookies are currency."  Well, that fills with confidence.

We saw a house right next to the big city of Blackshear, contemplating a move into that huge metropolis (about 3,500 people!).  The house was interesting, good square footage, a property loaded with fruit trees and vines, but in the end, it wasn't as nice as the house we have, and would have cost more money.  As much as we want to move closer in, we find it hard to justify spending more money just to wind up with a house that is inferior to the one we have.  So we stay in the boonies, keeping our eyes open to an opportunity that may not happen.

We went to a birthday party for the incredible Emily Beck, the very smart and talented daughter of our friends Kimberly and Ken Beck.  She turned 9, is an avid reader, a lover of tech, and will be playing Lilly St. James in Flying Dragon's upcoming production of Annie.  If you are in the area, this is a production not to be missed, and will be the first to be performed Flying Dragon's new air conditioned Tebeau Street building.  I will posting dates and other information very shortly.

We also went bowling with our good friends Karissa and Jeff Cook, with their boys, seven year old Noah and three year old Eli.  Great fun was had by all.  The children had a bumper guard on their lane.  Most of the adults wished they had the same.  I was unprecedentedly awful, but at least kept my ball in the right lane.

Things look pretty good for the President's re-election.  Mitt Romney was or was not involved in Bain in some mysterious way that is just confusing everybody.  Suffice to say, whatever they did while he was or was not with them, did they do anything that violated the cultural and business practices that he had set for them?  I don't think what they did in closing and outsourcing businesses was out of the norm of what they were designed to do.  Bottom line, Mitt Romney was a vulture capitalist.  Either you're okay with that or not.

Started The Big Bang Theory this weekend with it's first six episodes.  Hilarious program!  The lead actor, Jim Parsons as Sheldon, reminds of a cross between Mork and Spock.  The only downsides of the show is the laugh track (most of the comedies we watch now do not have one), and the occasional overreaches into crudity.

Well, I can see that my little zone to write is up.  My real job beckons.  And, boy, I'd sure hate to refuse that call!

Until next post,

T. M. Strait










3 comments:

  1. I never went to camp...not sure if I "missed out" or not. I went camping a lot with my aunt & uncle when I was younger and always made all kinds of friends everywhere we went. It was always fun until I became a teen...then there was other stuff!
    I am looking to move too! Back to Port Huron I hope.
    I also used to be an avid bowler! I even won a turkey one year around Thanksgiving for bowling the highest game over my average. I was just thankful it was frozen.
    For some reason, never got into The Big Bang Theory...I think I mentioned before that I just don't watch very many comedies. I really don't think they are all that funny...more silly or some are outright stupid.
    Anyway...nice random thoughts for a Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in moving back to Port Huron. I so much enjoy the pictures of Port Huron you post on the internet. It looks like a beautiful place.

    I think the longest camp I went ot was a weekend camp at Boy Scouts. It was only a few miles away. Close enough that Chris Williams got mad and homesick and walked back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha...Chris Williams...just can't imagine him being a Boy Scout......haha

      Delete