Sunday, July 29, 2012

Ripping Good Yarns: A Brave Review

This is indeed a brave review, not just because of it's about the movie Brave, but because it's several weeks after the movie has been out.  What can I say?  This is the first time I got to see it.

The way people see movies is quite different nowadays.  There is a big rush of people that often see movies the first week they come out.  Publicity and advertising of movies is designed to promote that.  There are others, like myself, who don't always get that first weekend.  It takes awhile and some intense family negotiation to work out when we see things.  We haven't yet seen The Dark Knight Arises, although we fully intend - just haven't worked it out yet.  Not even sure I saw Avengers opening weekend.  It's a disadvantage if you're writing blog posts. or in other ways are trying to be an opinion leader, or just want to see something before your other friends spoil the ending.On the other hand, if a movie is not very good, it can sometimes be gone before we are able to get out to see it.

Some don't see them until they're rentals.  so a whole new wave of reactions or reviews will be generated at that time.  The majority of movies we see are from Netflix or similar services. And we may see them at a the time they're first released for rental or months later.  It just depends.

Others see them when put on television, TBS - TNT - AMC and stuff like that.  That's fine, too.  It does all call into question when a review is relevant.  So, I'll continue to call 'em as I see 'em.  If I ever start making a fortune as a blogger, and quit my day job, I might start reviewing things in a more timely fashion.

So...Brave!  This Saturday, I had my three sons together - my 30 year old son, Greg, who is a film editor in California,; mu 28 year old son, Doug, who is an environmental scientist and grad student in Atlanta; and my eleven year old Benjamin, who is at the moment career-less.  And what movie did they all decide to see?  Brave!

And it was a brave, but very good, choice.  I knew it had a great story of a Princess who refuses to fit the mold set for her, but I didn't know it had such a touching story centered on mother-daughter bonding.  The story was unique enough to feel new, and the animation was Pixar at it's best.  Greg was very impressed with the quality of animation, particularly the Princesses hair, and with the grass and woods scenes.  Benjamin stayed interested throughout the whole movie, with many exciting action moments included in the film.  There are moments where the bears are especially threatening, so very young children might have a slight problem.

There are some superb voice talents, with some very good Scottish accents.  Kelly MacDonald voicing Princess Merida is particularly excellent.  The same actress doe an excellent job with an Irish accent on  Boardwalk Empire, so she is a real talent.

It is an excellent counter- role model movie for girls inundated by images of princesses waiting to be rescued.    She does get some assistance from her hilarious triplet kid brothers, but for the most part it is her daring, complemented by the wisdom of her mother that sees the day through.   I have some close friends whose daughter reminds me very much of Merida, and sure enough, when she saw it, she was enthralled by this character.  She, like many young girls, is a very special and independent young girl, one is also blessed to have a very special and caring mother.  I am very glad that this fine movie is out there for them.

Thank you, my three sons!  A brave and special choice, indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment