Monday, July 30, 2012

The Strait Boys Block the TV and Other Monday Musings

The Strait Boys gathered for a conspiracy meeting in Atlanta.  The now only slightly shorter one in front is Benjamin, 11.  The middle one with the gray hair and dynamic circumference is me, the operator of this world famous blog.  The tall on my...whichever direction - the tall one is Greg, 30, our Hollywood film editor.  The boy on the other side of me is Doug, 28, an environmental scientist who is engaged to be married.



This last Saturday we were able to take a trip to the wilds of Atlanta and spend some time with my three sons.  We went to a mall in Gwinnett County called Discovery Mills that had many amusing things for kids (of all ages, including my age, to do).  They did slot car racing, Dave & Buster's, and watched the movie Brave.  It was great time, and it did my heart good to see my boys bond.

We also ate at a Greek restaurant, one that several years ago with Doug, we first tried Hummus, something that has become a regular part of our diet at home.  One of the lacks in the Waycross/Blackshear area is not having a really good Greek restaurant (or any Greek restaurant for that matter).  Chinese, Mexican, Southern Style - you can find those in abundance here - not so much anything else.  I'm not sure why - a town of similar to slightly smaller size about forty minutes away has Thai and German, among other choices.  But here the palette of restaurants is much more limited.

The Summer Olympics have started, and our viewing of them has been hit or miss, really much more miss than hit.  I like the more unusual sports.  I watched part of a team handball match.  When the Olympics came to Atlanta, Alison and I saw a team handball match, between the USA and a team from a slavic country.  The American team did not play well.  They looked more like a frat team than Olympic athletes.  I almost expected them to be playing with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.  Nevertheless, it was a fun sport to watch.

Chick-fil-A blog entries generated great page-view traffic for me, but now I'm a little exhausted by the controversy, and will be glad to set it behind me.

I am struggling with my book reading system.  I have picked a book through my random selection process, that I quickly realize, really blows.  But my anal-retentive nature is preventing me from just setting it aside and giving up on it.  Instead I keep plowing through it as if it's a sacrifice that I must make.  Oh, Lord, please give me the strength to set aside this book!

We start a special assignment at work that should have me in the field most of the month.  Thankfully, it is an in-town location, so I won't be away from home.  Still, it is a change of routine that I will have to get used to.  It should not change the entries to this blog.  I may just have to get up even earlier.

Until next time, my friends!

T.M. Strait














2 comments:

  1. I bet this was the largest gathering of "Strait" guys Atlanta has seen in a long while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least outside of Chick-fil-A.

    ReplyDelete