Friday, July 6, 2012

Ripping Good Yarns: An Aaaamaazing Spider-Man

I got to a movie1  I got to a movie!  Benjamin and I got out to see the reboot of Spider=Man.  So it's not like THE Amazing Spider-Man.  It's more like AN Amazing Spider-Man.

Yes, I'm an old fan who started reading his comics starting in 1963 and still read the new ones to this day.  I'm highly aware that Peter Parker should be about 67.  But aging people normally is not a special gift of comics.  Nor apparently the movies either.  So I have seen constant reboots and rewrites over the years.

It was kind of hard getting my energy up just to go through this again.  But, I must say, the results were fairly positive.  A little more toned down in pace and plot than previous movies, it did come across as a little more character oriented.  As usual, they mess around with the elements of the story, but the heart of it is still there.
Peter Parker is a slight, vulnerable young man who learns the hard way about responsibility.

We saw the 3D version and although not spectacular, it was very naturalistic.  Even though Andrew Garfield is not an American, he sounded more like a New Yorker than any previous version of Spider-Man I've seen.  I think Sally Field is hot, so I was glad to see her in the movie, although Benjamin wondered why Aunt May had gotten younger.  The rapport between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy was very good - they did seem very drawn to each other.  Dr. Curt Connor had moments of greatness, but I don't think he rose to Hall of Fame villain level (hints of things to come sound very promising).  I also give props to Dennis Leary for a fine portrayal of Captain Ned Stacy.

None of The Daily Bugle people were in it.  Missed the old blowhard, J Jonah Jameson.  But much of the other essentials were there.

Although the Stacy/Parker relationship was nice, I am a Mary Jane Watson fan (from the comics - not just Kirsten Dunst).  So I am waiting for her re-emergence.  Of course, true comic fans know where the Stacy/Parker relationship is headed, if they stay true to the comics.

So my last question is, for you fans who follow more closely than I do, was one of the young girls at the school Mary Jane Watson...you know, the girl who got paint dumped on her sign by Flash Thompson?  I think it could have been, but if anybody has any insight or insider knowledge, please let me know.

All in all, I give it an 8 out of 10.



3 comments:

  1. Wanna know why the chemistry between Parker and Stacy looked so good??? Yup...they're an item! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had problems with the movie. I HATE the web-launcher Spidey. I prefer the version where it naturally comes out. This feature makes him a gadget superhero which to me is not a superhero at all, i.e. Batman. Also, the actor who portrays Peter Parker is 28, and that was a distraction. However, I did prefer the interpretation of Peter's character. The edgier, little-bit-of-attitude hero was refreshing and more rounded. With this being said, I give it a 7 out of 10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there you go, Benita. so that's good to go until they break up, which of course rarely happens in Hollywood.

    Robert, the most unfortunate aspect of Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man was that he was foreign born. I really hate that trend, as we are a country of over 300 million people - they couldn't come up with an american actor? The same thing is going to happen with Superman. Given that, I do concede that he played the part very well. I understand how you feel about the webshooters, but the gadget version is the most historically correct. The comics have always wanted to stress that Peter Parker was a first-rate scientist and inventor.

    ReplyDelete