Friday, July 13, 2012

Ripping Good Yarns: Favorite Genre Show Awards

Continuing our glorious television awards, we have our first winners in the division of specific genres.  Most of this is a gut reaction based on past general comments by Rippers, and by my own choices.  I did not get sufficient votes in most categories to make a vote count be the determinant of the outcome.  We'll work on that, and as the Ripper Movement continues to gain strength, we will have more input to make these decisions.

All categories do not include shows that have won one of our previous awards.

But enough general jawboning.  Let's get on with the awards!

Favorite Science Fiction Show:    

Eureka    

The emphasis on this show is on science.  Sometimes silly, off the wall science, but science nonetheless.  It does so with colorful, good-natured characters.  My son Benjamin loves it, and we enjoy watching it together.

Favorite Medical Drama:


House


Combines a delightfully curmudgeonly doctor with Sherlock Holmes level medical mysteries.  I personally don't watch medical shows, but if I were to make an exception, this would be it.

Favorite Horror Show:

The Walking Dead 


Yes, I agree.  I can't believe this didn't win one of our main awards.  I would say it's the best show that didn't.  Alison is not too fond of horror, yet this show has captured her because of the brilliantly written and preformed characters.  If you're not shambling into The Walking Dead train, you're missing one of the best things on television.

Favorite Fantasy Show:


Once Upon A Time


Disney figures out once again how to make money off of fairy tale characters.  But they do it so well, who can complain?  Great show, and can't wait to see where they go next season!

Favorite Mystery/Detective Show:


Psych


Okay, there was absolutely no consensus in this category.  Opinions were all over the map,  So I just went with our family favorite.  We laugh at this show as much as at any situation comedy on television.  Any show that draws the whole family together is a winner in my book!

Favorite Western:


Hell On Wheels


I really like this show.  It has been very good, and has shown a lot of potential.  It is a gritty, realistic western.  I'm not trying to take away from this quality drama when I say that I can't think of any other western on television.  I really like this kind of show, and wish there were more of them.  Let's bring back the western!


The next and final category for our television programs will be nominees to the Ripping Good Yarn Hall of Fame.  What are your favorite shows of all time?  Please only nominate shows that are no longer on the air,  also no reality , game or news shows.

C'mon, fellow Rippers!  Let the nominations begin!



4 comments:

  1. Ok..Here goes! Believe me, I am pulling some from waaaay back. These are the ones I remember being drawn to...
    Alfred Hitchcock Presents
    The Twilight Zone
    Dark Shadows
    The Fugitive
    St. Elsewhere
    Cheers
    Taxi
    MacGyver
    Seinfeld
    Thirty-Something
    Three's Company
    Home Improvement
    Moonlight
    Dallas (the original)
    Las Vegas
    The Waltons
    Lie To Me
    Carnivale
    Without A Trace
    Medium
    The Rifleman
    Columbo
    CHiPs
    Unsolved Mysteries
    Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
    Magnum P.I.
    Cagney & Lacey
    Whew!!!!......But the one I miss the most is...
    NIP/TUCK

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a truly great list with some really awesome, classic shows! C'mon, people! This is a great start but I need many, many others to chime in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominate the following: Star Trek, Lost, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly and Twin Peaks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, now that I've learned how to comment on this site: Old, old show(1963): "Eastside, Westside"--series about a Social Worker, with George C. Scott; Judging Amy (I love Tyne Daly as a SW--do you see a theme here?); Chicago Hope, Cold Case, and from the list above: House, The Medium, Thirty-something, Cagney and Lacey, Dr. Quinn, and Without a Trace.

    ReplyDelete