Friday, July 27, 2012

Ripping Good Yarns - Hall of Fame Finalists!

It's time!

Yes, I was not flooded with votes on this.  But any new idea takes time.  I have faith that Ripper Nation will become more vocal as time goes on.

The list of ten finalists to vote on is a compilation of what little opinion I could gather, filtered through my own input.  As we gather steam, I'm hoping to more straightly go by Ripper votes.  Every nominee was mentioned by at least one other person.

The finalists are:

All In the Family
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Cagney & Lacy
Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
Lost
M*A*S*H
Medium
Seinfeld
Star Trek
The Twilight Zone




So now the question changes slightly.  Of the shows mentioned here, which one do you think is most deserving of entry into the Ripper Hall of Fame?  Which one is your favorite in this group?  If you don't have a clear favorite, or haven't seen much of any of these shows, still try to pick one that, from the best of your memory, may have had the most impact on television and/or the culture.


This list is very heavy on recent favorites, and not so much on great classics.  i may have to remedy that in the future by having a vote between programs that ended twenty or more years ago.  But I'll save that for when we get increased participation.

Vote here on the blog - you may have to go the anonymous route if you don't have a google account, or haven't become an official follower of the blog, but that's okay.  Facebook friends can post in the Ripper group, or even send me messages.  Any kind of vote will bring great smiles to my face.

So vote, Rippers, vote!

7 comments:

  1. This is apples and oranges, for sure. I don't think any recent show can compare with the cultural impact of "All in the Family", "Star Trek" and "Twilight Zone". That being said, I definitely vote for "Twilight Zone"--those episodes are like old friends I never tire of visiting with and have tuned in to the yearly marathon more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the intense social issues addressed on the show are still hot topics today. I learned a great deal about my own personal philosophies early on in my life through its brilliantly written and incredibly funny episodes. Plus, I adore Edith! MY VOTE IS FOR ALL IN THE FAMILY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. No show has had as well-defined characters, where the story evolved in such a natural and organic way. Sharp, sanppy dialogue, first-rate melodrama, direceted and produced by the great Joss Whedon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw even one episode of this...lol

      Delete
    2. that should be...I never even saw one episode of this...

      Delete