Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday Little Shop of Variety Pack

It's Monday.  I find myself once again in search of a theme.  I don't think another variation of  'ugh, it's another work week' is quite what I want to do.

We picked the Benjamator form camp on Saturday.  He was in really good health and very good spirits.  We were very happy that it was a positive experience for him.  When we came in he was up front of the gathering campers doing a stand-up comedy routine.  I don't know where that boy gets stuff like that from.

We took a trip Sunday afternoon, with a good friend and her boys, to see a community theatre production in a town about 30 miles away (Alma, Georgia) and saw the musical Little Shop of Horrors.  It was magnificently performed, in a beautifully restored downtown theatre. There were tremendous performances by some actors I had witnessed in the past, including Chelsea Nelson, Michael Lee and Jennifer Goodson.  Others I were seeing for the first time blew me away, especially Jeoffrey Wages and Sarah Crutcher.  I hope to have pictures and more to post in a story later this week. Me and technology...we're like two peas in vastly different and highly separated pods.

I thoroughly addressed some of the issues associated with the awful shooting at the Batman movie in my Saturday Political Soapbox.  I just want to reiterate that for those of you think it is improper to talk about American violence and gun control so close to such a tragedy, I think you're wrong.  I tried to hold my thoughts in the Gabrielle Gifford shooting, and by the time I could talk about it, it was already too late.  People had moved on to other things and didn't want to talk about it anymore.  So, no, I'm sorry.  There is no waiting. Victims need to be honored and remembered, the perpetrator deserves our scorn, the police and investigators deserve our prayers and support.  But I'm tired of these things occurring and then nothing happens, nothing changes.

As far as The Dark Rises, I did not get to the theatre to see it.  And it looks like next weekend is out too.  I'm looking forward to it some. although it may be a little more dark than I like.  The highlight for the summer and the year for me continues to be The Avengers. Saw at home Martha Macy May Marlene and Columbiana.  Martha Macy May Marlene, was a little too disjointed for me, ended in the middle - I had to have Alison help me realize when they were in the present and when they were in a flashback.  The whole movie was kind of artsy-fartsy, with more fart than art.  Columbiana, about a girl who becomes a hitman (person?) was not a great movie, but it did at least have a chronological  plot I could follow.

We have high hopes that this coming weekend I will get to see my oldest son Greg.  He lives in California as a film editor, and my opportunities to see him are pretty rare.  So we are very much looking forward to that.  My middle son, Douglas, looks like he may be moving out to California too.  So it looks like I might have to get out to California at least some.  I'd build a second home there, but I don't think I could afford even a first home out there.  I think we would have difficulty affording a van down by the river.

I've managed to get through this whole post without groaning about the coming work week.  So I think I will quit while I'm ahead and can still suppress the "Oh, Man!  I can't believe it's Monday!" blues.

Until next time,

T.M. Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment