Wednesday, July 25, 2012

To Chick-fil-A or Not to Chick-fil-A?

I can't decide whether to boycott Chick-fil-A or not.  That is the question.  I don't know whether to suffer the slings and arrows of whatever decision I make, or by ignoring them, end them. There's the rub!  I'd sleep on it, maybe even dream on it.  Alas!  I know not what to do!

I freely admit, I do not know all the facts.  It's hard for me  to discern everything from the random posts I get.  So I'm open to other's thoughts, opinions, sources where I can go get facts. Seriously, people, inform on this one!

Here's my general thoughts, so it will help you guide me.  I hate discrimination.  I'm in favor of gay marriage.  I'm not sure that Chick-fil-A raises it's chickens in a humane manner. Chick-fil-A is a Christian organization and makes no bones about it.  They close on Sundays, because it is THE DAY for worship, oblivious to the fact that other groups worship on other days.  I'm sure the organization gives money to religious groups, some of whom participate in behavior that is discriminatory towards gays and others.  The calories, salt, and fat content of their food probably contributes to the obesity epidemic in this country.  Yes. I'm one of those people who attribute our obesity increase not just to our moral decline, but to the diet that we are encouraged to eat.  If you don't agree with any of these, fine.  Just thought you'd like to know what you have to deal with to move my opinion..

On the other hand, I'm not a big supporter of boycotts.  Let's say Dairy Queen endorses gay marriage, extends insurance to gay couples, maybe has a gay rainbow sherbet day.  Mightn't the right-wing Christians choose to boycott them.  And this boycott of Chick-fil-a, isn't it just rallying their base to support them?  Other organizations disgust me and I'm not yet walking out.  I tried to boycott BP, but that doesn't always stop me when I'm traveling and they're the most convenient to pull into.  Walmart is the Great Satan, destroying family businesses and creating crappy jobs to replace good jobs, and still I go.  I delude myself into thinking that all I need to do is support unionizing efforts, and it could change things for service workers around the country.  So why single out Chick-Fil-A?  Finally, selfishly, my god, it's a damn fine sammich!

I met Truett Cathy once.  He came to the business class I was taking at Berry College in the early 80s.  He seemed like a nice enough fellow.  He still had that slightly inflated view that he had succeeded because he possessed a magic formula that when combined with hard work couldn't fail.  Luck, support of others, using government infrastructure and help, that wasn't really his focus.  But like I said, as far as entrepreneurs go, he seemed like one of the good ones.

So what should I do, dear readers?  Should I boycott or not?  I stand ready to receive your guidance.

6 comments:

  1. Very Good! That was worth reading twice. Do what you think is right; and, don't forget to write it. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't boycott everyone or even know what they do with their money. However when The info is so well known it makes sense to take a stand. You can also support those who you do respect (if you can find them). Personally I love their waffle fries and will miss them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boycotting is not going to change Dan Cathy's Mind or his father's. (Truet not Truman Cathy) I also have met Truet, and he freely gave credit to his early success being in part due to being next to the now closed Ford plabt in ATL. As far as being closed on Sundays, he is not oblivious to the fact that others worship on other days, but Sunday is HIS day set aside for God and he chooses not to do business on that day? are you too bigoted to accept that? you say you boycott BP but stop at BP because its "convenient" is that where you draw the line, at Inconvenience? Talk is cheap. Actions like Dan Cathy passing on millinos of dollars a year being closed on Sundays show real conviction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, I think Mr. Cathy is entitled to his point of view, as are you. His family has been involved in many good projects especially with children. My son attended their camp Winshape on a scolarship provided by them. The reporter(s) who asked him this question knew what the answer would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right. Truett Cathy is his name. I wish people would stop calling me a bigot. That is flipping annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom youre not a bigot, I do bepieve that the media is fueling this to give them something to talk about, in a campaign season this long they are running out of things to say about Preident Obama and Governor Romney.

    ReplyDelete