Friday, January 25, 2013

The Wonderful Children of Oz




I am indeed often a selfish git.  I sometimes, even at my age, just want to get on stage and let it rip.  Just act, no other responsibilities. And someday soon, I may do that.

But I keep coming back to children's theater.  Why?  It can be a very noisy, chaotic experience.  The theater itself is on a shoestring, so raising enough money to continue is a constant problem. And there is the chronic thing that seems to happen in all theater groups - people leave all the time.  Children grow up, families move, others get offended and walk away.  It takes a lot of energy and force of will to keep moving forward.

Then I see pictures like this, and all my qualms melt away.  This is the reason I do children's theater.  I now many of the kids in the picture above.  I have watched them grow and bloom.  They have learned not just to be a performer, but how to get along and work with others.  They learn in a diverse environment that is not base on creed or color.  They learn self-worth and dignity and achievement.

So although I may be making an occasional foray back to my own acting roots, I'm not going away from children's theater.  They're growing up, including my own Benjamin,  They're getting stronger and better.

I wouldn't miss it for the world.








1 comment: