Monday, October 13, 2014

Back to Reality Monday Musings

Lexie (played by Mary Beth Kennedy), Dinah (Rhonda Powers), Jeri Neal (Caroline Dorough Sanford), Sheree (Anna Pinder) and Vernadette (Nadine Borrelli) clink their glasses together one last time.


The end of a play run, even one as successful as this one, leaves me a little blue and lost.  There is such a flurry of activity, such an immersion into something else, that I begin to fool myself as to what it is I actually do for a living.

I have been associated with few plays where the cast has clicked so well together.  I don;t remember many comedies where the audience has laughed so consistently from performance to performance.Our audience size was consistent too, ranging from about 55 to 70.

I had to make some tough decisions to keep the play moving forward.  I was not particularly happy to be in the position to have to do that, and even though the decisions worked out for the best, I did not enjoy having to make them.  That aside, the cast was remarkably in synch,  both on a performance and personal level.  The crew did amazing work too.  Alison does a fantastic job as Stage Manager, and Benjamin was a great Sounds & Light Guy.




Elizabeth and Emily Beck performing with Dance Fusion at the Okefenokee Heritage Center event, Boots 'n' BBQ.

Another event over the weekend was the Boots 'n' BBQ daytime event, which included sampling of BBQ from five different vendors, music, dancing and a costume contest that my family helped manage.  The costume contest had very low participation, but we made the best of it we could.  Everything else clicked fairly well,

The Michigan Wolverines won, along with the Detroit Lions, so the sports weekend wasn't quite as down as last weekend.  Please note Michigan fans - Brady Hoke is not the core problem.  You have an Athletic Director who was a CEO of Dominoes, a pizza chain known mostly for low wages (along with most of the rest of the industry).  How that qualifies you to handle college athletes is beyond me,

So now I plunge back into the world of accounting, with the final deadline for individual tax returns impending this Wednesday.  And people are already talking about Christmas, and as much as I love Christmas, it means that a new tax season is right around the corner.  Oy.

But the horizon does have other promise until then.  Benjamin and I both have parts in The Best Christmas Pageant ever.  I have a meeting of the Writer's Guild tomorrow.  We hope to see Doug over Thanksgiving break.  I plan on using some vacation days soon to have a an extended writing weekend, maybe help bring a couple of my writing projects closer to conclusion.

Just please don't talk to me about Christmas yet.

Until next time,

T. M. Strait

No comments:

Post a Comment