Friday, October 17, 2014

History of the Trap: December Stars Part 3

3

"You had broken up with Lisa, had you not, Mr. Martin?" That question came from Mr. Woodrow Branch, Robert Pelley's assigned legal representative.  It was a tough assignment, but Mr. Branch was dedicated to fair play and giving everyone the best representation possible.  Up through the trial to his beginning to cross-examine me, he was doing a good job.  Perhaps too good, for my tastes.
"Objection!" popped up Mr. Tate.  "We've already covered that in my questioning.  Why do we have to go over this again?  What has the state of their relationship prior to the night in question got to do with this trial?"
"If you'll allow me to follow up, I'll clearly demonstrate the connection, your honor."  Mr. Branch had a knowing look on his face, almost nodding with a wink to Miss. Nancy Schram, the judge designated to preside while I was on the stand, to minimize any conflicts my Dad might have.  Mr. Branch was a bit of a charmer, with curly black hair, vibrant blue eyes, tall, and moving with a confident swagger.  He was, however, the only adult fortunate enough to be in the Trap with his wife, fellow teacher, Mrs. Lindsay Branch.
Miss Schram sighed.  "I'll allow it for now.  But this better go somewhere fast, Mr. Branch.  Objection overruled."
I was confused.  "What?"
"Go ahead and answer the question, Lance," Miss Schram said.
"What was the question?"  The audience tittered a bit.  I was trying to concentrate, but I was very nervous.  I was sweaty and my heart was pounding.
Mr. Branch repeated the question.  "Your relationship with Lisa, had you not broken up?"
"Not exactly, although we had seen less of each other for a few weeks.  As I stated to Mr. Tate, the death of her friend, Sue, left her hurt and withdrawn.  But I wouldn't say that we ad broken up."
"But that did mean you were not with her as frequently as you had been before, is that true?"
I didn't understand what he was doing.  But unless there was another objection, or Miss Schram intervened, I guess I had to answer it.  "I guess so, yes."
"So you don't know all the friendships she formed in your absence, the new people she might have moved on with?"
"Well, I did see her in the lunchroom, or the hall and such.  I know that she was getting closer to some of the school nurses, like Morgan Tigh and her friends."
"But you don't know everything, right?  You don't know whether she had moved to closer to any boys, right?"
"No, I don't think she did.  I mean, I don't know for sure, but I don't think so."
"Yes, how can you be sure?  She may have been seeing someone else.  For instance, you may not know the full nature of her relationship with Robert Pelley, do you?  They may have actually developed a closer relationship.  Isn't it possible?"
"No, it is not!  She couldn't stand Robert Pelley.  Everyone who knew her knew that!"
"Really?  Well, I may have some witnesses who can state differently."
That puzzled me.  Girls were sometimes fickle, sure, but her repulsion towards Robert Pelley was bone deep, wasn't it?
Mr. Branch continued, "So you don't know the true state of the relationship between Robert and Lisa.  It could have been the most natural thing in the world for him to ask her to dance, and it could have been your over-reaction to it that may have caused the scene at the dance."
I couldn't help but laugh.  "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard."
He ignored me.  "And how did Lisa let you know to meet with her that morning, the morning she was brutally murdered?"
"She told me."
"How?  How did she tell you?"
"She told me the night before.  She was so shook up by Robert's bad behavior that I walked to her room."
"But how did she tell you?  By words? A note?  Smoke signals?"  Pelley and his friends laughed at that one.
"She told me.  Out loud."
"How 'out loud'?  Did she shout it?"
"No, she whispered it to me."
"Then no one heard it but you?"
"Well, no.  I wouldn't think so."
"Then how do we know that she even told you that?"
"What?  Why would I lie?"
"Yes.  Why would you lie?  Perhaps you overheard her talking to someone else?  Perhaps you decided to interrupt that rendezvous and give then the what for?  Show them whose girl she was, just like you did to Robert Pelley at the dance the night before!"
"Objection!" leaped up Mr. Tate.  "Mr. Branch is treating the witness as if he is a suspect!  He can't be!  He has airtight alibis for the time that Mr. Bruchow and his scientific team determined that the murder took place!"
The whole makeshift courtroom started to buzz.  Miss Schram fiercely pounded her gavel.  "Objection sustained! Move on, Mr. Branch."
"Certainly, your Honor.  I am very happy to know that Mr. Tate has such strong respect for solid alibis."
He went back to his defense table, giving Robert Pelley a slight smile.  "I'm done with the witness at this time, although I reserve the right to call him back later."
Robert Pelley looked at me again, this time with sly satisfaction, like the cat that had just swallowed the canary, as if he had just gotten away with murder.


No comments:

Post a Comment