Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Writing Contest winner! I was Running, Running as Fast as I Possibly Could by Breanna Parks

I  am very proud to present to you another of our winners in our recent Okefenokee Heritage Center Writer's Guild Writing Contest!

The following story is by Breanna Parks, a Ware County student, and our third place Secondary Story winner!  


Breanna Parks


I Was Running, Running as Fast as I Possibly Could
by Breanna Parks


        I was running, running as fast as I possibly could.  Someone was chasing me and I didn't know why. The person behind me was close, so close that I could hear him breathing.  I was too scared to look back because it might slow me down and I didn't want to see what his face looked like.  Surprisingly he wasn't getting tired and neither was I.  I kept running and running until I found a tower to climb.  I made it to the top floor but I tripped and fell out the window and hit the ground real hard.  I got ready to take my last breath but I didn't die.  How was I still alive?

      The man grabbed me and took me to the back of the tower.  When he took his mask off I was surprised to see that it was a 17 year old boy named Austin that happened to be in my French class,  He gave me a note that said, "Meet me at 95023 Cumberland Drive at 5:00 pm on the dot and come alone."  Then he just ran away without saying anything.  I was so scared and confused!

      When I arrived at the cafe I found Austin with a few other teenagers.  They didn't hesitate to tell me that I had 9 lives but now I had 8 left.  They said it's because my birth mom was a scientist and belonged to a group that was experimenting with giving humans cat-like abilities, and that all of their birth moms were part of the group.  I was so confused so I asked, "Why is all this happening now?" They told me that the chemicals in our bodies are activated when you turn 16, in which my case is today.

      When I got home I asked my Mom if she knew anything about my adopted mother being involved in any experiments.  She said no.  We celebrated my birthday and I headed up stairs to bed.  Today had been a strange birthday for sure!

      Right before I went to bed I got a call from Austin.  He told me to be careful because our enemies are in town and they were there to capture us and experiment on us.  He said to tell no one of our secret and that there is no safe place!  Before he hung up he said, "You will learn to rely on your new cat-like abilities."  What did that mean?  Can I now climb a tree with no problems?  Would I have cat-like claws and excellent night visions?  This must be why I could run so fast earlier today and didn't die when I fell out the window.  Today had been a long day.  Not only was I exhausted but I was scared and confused.  All I can do right now is sleep.  I have 8 lives to figure this out, so sweet dreams!




No comments:

Post a Comment