Thursday, October 23, 2014

Ripping Good Yarns: Thursday Fall TV 2014

No grid this year...they are too difficult to translate, and I don't have a good format to work from.

Here is the best of Thursday:


Scandal (Season 4) on ABC at 9 is one of my favorite science fiction programs.  That is not intended as a slam.  It is a wild, entertaining ride, and one of the best shows that Alison and I like to watch together.  But the politics and incidents are so far-fetched that it is best for me to imagine them happening in an alternate universe where things like that could happen.  As a political aficionado, I cringe as some of their implausible scenarios.   As a fan of great, melodramatic Ripping Good Yarns, I am also vastly entertained.  It's Olivia Pope's world, and we're just peeking in.  The most implausible part of the show?  That there is such a thing as a moderate Republican! 



How to Get Away With Murder at 10 on ABC tops an evening of Shonda Rhimes created programming, something ABC is extremely grateful for.  We have seen two episodes so far, and Alison is 100% on board.  I am a little more hesitant, as like with Scandal, I have to get over the more exaggerated aspects of it.  She uses her classroom as free labor to assist her with her cases?  She gets them to do quasi-legal questionable things?  Okay, I'll probably learn to accommodate it.  In time.



Gracepoint on Fox at 9 is a great little shoe that I am enjoying immensely.  Yes, it is pretty much a straight retelling of the BBC series Broadchurch.  It even has David Tennant (Who?) reprising the same role.  But the original has been difficult for me to find and stream, and I find this a great way to catch the story.  The ratings for this are dismal, but i don't care.  I like it anyways.


ABC begins its entertaining evening of Shonda Rhimes with Season 11 of Grey's Anatomy.  I don't watch medical programs (as a general rule), so I have not seen this, but it does have many devoted followers.  I do wish, if they are going to devote a night to great TV creators, there would also be a Joss Whedon night somewhere.  That would be awesome.

I inadvertently left CBS off my Wednesday summary in my first draft.  Leaving it off this time is not a mistake, as the night is taken over by NFL football, which does not fall into the purview of Ripping Good Yarns (also I exclude reality shows and news programming).  After football is over CBS will have Season 2 of The Millers, the premiere of the comedy The McCarthy's (not about the 50's Joe McCarthy era, but a about a New England family handling the outing of their gay son), Season 3 of Elementary, and Season 12, the very FINAL season of Two and a Half Men (party in Aisle Winning!).  Okay, looking this over, I really didn't leave CBS off this time.  I just extended it from Fall to mid-season.

Fox has Season 10 of Bones at 8.  It features Angel and Zooey Deschanel's sister.  

NBC has two new comedies, Bad Judge at 9 and A to Z at 9:30.  I don't know what to say about these two other than they are getting killed in the ratings.  10 PM has Season 6 of Parenthood, which is promoted as its final season.  Alison loves this program.

The CW has Season 6 of The Vampire Diaries (if you can sink your teeth into that) and Season 2 of Reign.  I watch Reign, although I am increasingly unsure why.  I think I keep expecting it to break out into Game of Thrones, Jr.

That includes Thursday's Fall wrap up.  Only Friday to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment