Friday, October 31, 2014

History of the Trap: December Stars Part 6

6

It was certainly odd.  Here it was just a couple of days before New Year's, late on a Sunday night, and the temperature outside felt no lower than the mid fifties.  You would think you would at least see snow and ice on the trees and fields that lay just beyond the Trap, but we saw none of that.  It looked just about the same all the time.  We never saw changes in weather, no animals or people, nothing.  As far as I knew not a wind blew, or was there a leaf or blade of grass out of place.  But I had not spent a lot of time staring at it either.
I walked out onto the grounds behind the high school, just to get some walking in and be by myself for a little while.  People had made it clear that they were not interested in my conspiracy theories, and I was beginning to feel a bit like Sue Boschman must have felt like, with her government conspiracies as to explain the Trap.  I felt isolated and morose.
There were few people out at that time, but I came across Larry Wiseman, lying out on the grass, staring up at the sky.
"What are you doing. Larry? You feel okay"" I asked, looking down at him.
"I'm fine, I think," answered Larry.  The super intelligent freshman looked up at the sky quizzically, not even taking the time to glance at me.  "It is rather confusing, though."
I sat down next to him.  "What is?'
"Look at the stars," he replied.
"I'm not really an astronomer.  What am I supposed to be seeing?"
"Look at the Constellations.  Do you see the Big and Little Dippers?"
He pointed them out, and yeah, I could sort of see them.  "Yeah, I think so."
"They're always there. They are what you call circumpolar constellations, and they never really go beneath the horizon.  Do you see that one over there?  That is one called Hercules.  See the stars that form an odd shaped rectangle and then the stars extending out to arms and legs?"
I sort of saw what he was talking about, but mostly I had to take his word for it.  "Sure," I replied.
"And do you see that quadrangle over there?  That is Libra," said Larry, his hand flashing across the star line.  That one I had no clue, and thought it was best just to agree.  I had no doubt that he was an expert at this.
"Do you know what's special about those constellations?"
"Umm...they got something to do with the Greeks?"  As soon as I said it, I realized that just made me sound stupid.
"Well they are not circumpolar.  They only appear in our horizon at certain times of the year.  Like in the spring."
It slowly dawned on me what he was getting at.  "Oh.  But, uhhh, this isn't spring."
Larry looked at me for the first time.  "No, it isn't, is it?  And the constellations I would expect to see, like Taurus and Orion, well, I can't find anywhere."
That startled me, even as woefully ignorant as I was about night skies.  "That's incredible!  What does it mean?"
Larry thought for a moment.  Then he sat up and said, "It's almost as if time no longer means anything.  Like it's no longer a constant.  Look at how fast our crops grow.  Anyone with agricultural experience will tell you that the gestation time is off the charts, and not even scientifically credible.  As for the people here, I mean, it's almost the opposite.  Guys virtually never have to shave.  And to the best of my knowledge, girls never have periods.  And I know this hasn't been Sodom and Gomorra here, but there hasn't been a pregnancy since the Trap fell, at least that I'm aware of.  The weather is constant, the dusk and dawn have stayed relatively the same, the exterior of the Trap, what we can see, almost is as frozen as a painting."
Larry paused for a moment, and then got up completely.  He was no taller than me, so he could start right at me, his sharp nose tempered by his thick glasses.  "What is going on, Lance?"
I just shrugged and shook my head.  That certainly was the question.

What was going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment