Thursday, October 23, 2014

History of the Trap: December Stars Part 4

4

The prosecution rested.  The case against Robert Pelley seemed overwhelming.  His confrontation at the dance, his prior brutish behavior towards Lisa, his verbal threats, the circumstantial evidence of having changed his shirt and his being unable to account for the shirt he wore the night of the murder, and the fact that he was missing during the time of the murder.
But then started Mr. Branch's presentation of the defense.  And I saw what seemed to me to be a sure thing being battered away.
First he attacked the physical evidence.  Nothing Mr. Bruchow's investigation team turned up tied Robert Pelley, or anyone else for that matter, to the crime scene.  Well, except for me.  My footprints were in her blood, and my fingerprints were on her clothing. 
He brought up Ricky Rosalie, one of Robert Pelley's buddies, who claimed that Robert had lent him his shirt that night.  And then the shirt in question was introduced into evidence.  Was it really Robert's shirt?  How many blue work shirts were there in the trap?  Probably not much the size to fit Robert and Ricky's frames, with both of them 6'3'or more.  The fact was there was nothing to tie that shirt to Robert other than Ricky's word.  And what value was that?  Not much to me.  I hoped my Dad and the other judges were as skeptical as I was.
Then there was a small parade of witnesses who tried to indicate that Lisa might be interested in Robert.  I was seething at such nonsense.  Did no one else but me see the look of fear in her eyes when Robert propositioned her at the dance?  The parade of witnesses included some of Morgan's girlfriends, like Amy James and Karen Gellenraad, but not Morgan herself. 
There was a short recess at that point, and I stepped out with the rest of the spectators.  Some would be rotated out to allow others to observe.  Morgan had not come to the trial, but she was outside talking to her boyfriend, Mark Granite, in a heated conversation.  I could not make out what they were saying, but she seemed very resistant to whatever it was.  That was quite unusual, because I had never seen her anything but lovey-dovey to Mark.  When the recess was over, she did not come in, but instead shrugged Mark's arm off shoulder and huffed off.
The next tact by Mr. Branch was even more fantastical, at least to my mind.  It was suggested that Robert was not the only one with a crush on Lisa.  He brought up witnesses that suggested other boys were also interested in her; the implication is that any one of those rejected suitors could be the murderer.  This was ridiculous.  Granted, Lisa and I had not been close in the weeks before her murder, but I still observed her enough to know there was no other guy interested in her.  Okay, yes, I admit.  I was following her a bit more than I should, but that did give enough insight to realize that most of what was being said was poppycock.
One of the guys, who were brought up as being interested in Lisa, was sworn in by the court, as what Mr. Branch called a 'hostile witness'.  I didn't really recognize who he was (we still had over 900 in the trap - it was hard to keep track of everybody).  He was sworn in and gave his name as David Garvey.  He was a sophomore whom I couldn't place at all.  He stammered out that he had really liked Lisa, but did not have the nerve to approach.  Mr. Branch introduced into evidence a notebook that had sketches of Lisa (at least that's what Mr. Branch said  - from my seat in the courtroom  I could make out nothing that suggested Lisa to me) and where he had written her name over and over again, and little hearts that had 'David + Lisa' written in them.
I don't know.  If this guy was doing this, it must have been from pretty afar.  And, of course, Mr. Branch was just showing us what he wanted to from the notebook.  The boy seemed more love struck than dangerous or angry.  That was the most damning things Mr. Branch found?  It seemed more smokescreen than fire.
Then Mr. Branch called up Mark Granite.  The crowd in attendance grew loud, everyone speculating what this meant.  My father gaveled us back to order.  Mark Granite gave his patented wink and smile to the audience.  When he looked at Robert Pelley, though, his smile went away.  But I saw something.  A certain look exchanged between the two, a slight nod, just ever so slight, too quick to be really picked up by others, but I saw it.  As sure as the world, I saw it.
Mark's presence on the stand made Morgan's absence more noticeable to me.  She was always by his side, especially at crucial times and public events.  Could he be about to say something that she did not agree with?  I did not know Morgan well at this point in time, but it did seem odd to me.
Mr. Branch established that Mark felt that he and Robert were friends, albeit not particularly close friends.  He knew that Robert was a bit of bully sometimes, but that he did have a good heart, and had come to rely on him a great deal on the football team.  This is why the great Mark Granite was on the stand?  As a character witness?
Mark admitted initial confusion as to the date of the murder.  He begged forgiveness as he was fresh off the big game, and not really concentrating on other things.  He said he wasn't highly familiar with who Lisa was, although later he did recall that Robert had mentioned her a time or two, and that in retrospect he might have also recalled her a time or two on the periphery of Morgan's friends.  He made a joke about how Morgan had so many friends; they were terribly hard to keep up with.   The crowd laughed.  Hey, it was Mark Granite!  And he was making a joke!  For the record, though, I did not laugh.
It became clear as to why all this date confusion was important.  Because Mark Granite was giving Robert Pelley an alibi, and the date confusion was to help explain why Mark had not come forward sooner.  He had called an impromptu after dance party with some of the football guys.  The party was in the boy's locker room, and it was just him and a few other fellows.  He confessed there was some moonshine involved (thank you, David Izzner, black marketeer extraordinaire, apparently still thriving despite all the scrutiny and confiscations), a part of the reason events might be a little fuzzy to him.  But he could verify that Robert Pelley was definitely there,   From 3 in the morning until 10 AM.  Yes, 10 AM.  So, if Mark was telling the truth, than Robert could not be the killer.
But Mark was lying.  Even the verifying witnesses that came after.  It was all a lie.  At least I felt that way.  Nothing they said fit together right.  Nothing passed the smell test to me.  And yet, to deny it, required a belief in a fairly big conspiracy.  And who would believe ill of Mark Granite, state Track champ, the most successful athlete in the school, with the prettiest, most popular girlfriend?
I didn't know why Mark Granite was lying.  But he was, for whatever reason, putting his reputation on the line to protect that scumball, Robert Pelley.  It woke me up.  I realized for the first time that there may be darker forces afoot than David Izzner and his Black Marketeers, darker than the random bullies and thugs that had been a part of our school life both before and during the Trap,  Forces that could take Lisa away from us, and then cover up the crime.
I could only pray that my Dad saw things the same way.  Surely he could see through this conspiratorial scam. 
I did not get a chance to talk to him.  He went straight back to deliberate with Miss Schram and Jan Houser.
A few hours later, we were called back.  My Dad solemnly announced that there was not enough evidence to convict Robert Pelley, and that therefore, he was found not guilty.
There was a cheer from the audience.  Most had been held swayed by Mr. Branch's defense, and the conveniently late restoration of memory by Mark Granite.
But I was not swayed.  I sat and I started to cry.  I could not help myself.  Robert Pelley was getting hugs and congratulations from many.  He was taller than most, and as he was being hugged, I saw him look at me coldly, and he mouthed two words.
"You're next."


No comments:

Post a Comment